Paul Ross bought Ardmore Dairy Farm in 1998 and established Ardmore Guest Farm
. Paul and his wife Sue, have continuously added new features and guest accommodation.
The Guest farm is situated in Champagne Valley below the three highest peaks in South Africa: Mafadi at 3450 m, Injisuti Dome at 3410 m and the Champagne Castle at 3377 m. Ardmore is now a commercial timber farm, selling logs to paper mills. Previously it was a maize farm and later a dairy farm. Ardmore Ceramics was established on Ardmore Farm in 1985 and the Ardmore Museum has an extensive display of the ceramics. Ardmore Ceramics are now made near Howick.
The farm is also home to horses, ponies, goats, ducks, chickens, dogs and a couple of free-range kids. Most of the farm is on the other side of the road, wonderful for walks.
Here at the farm you can try bass fishing and bird watching at the farm dam, take a dip in the swimming pool or pay a visit to the on-site African Loom cotton weaving where you can buy hand-woven cotton bags and cushions. Also have a look at Steve Bull`s paintings on display in the gallery along with a selection of Ardmore Ceramics.
Accommodation at Ardmore Guest Farm:
At Ardmore there are 16 beautiful units to choose from according to your preference. We cater for groups of all sizes, from single guests to large groups. We are happy to field inquiries and help you best organise your stay with us. We have 1, 2 or 3 bed units either in our renovated garden facing studios with stunning views of Ardmore`s extensive gardens or alternatively you can book one of our mountain facing cottages of various sizes, facing South Africa`s three highest mountain peaks.
Most of our accommodation types have en-suite bathrooms with tea/coffee making facilities, Jacuzzi spa baths and showers, and a wood fireplace with limited free firewood provided. We offer accommodation on a bed and breakfast basis. A three-course, lantern lit dinner is an optional extra.
Free WiFi is available in the main lodge complex and guest rooms.
Facilities & Services:
- Children under 12 years
- Honeymoon Couples
- Airport Shuttle Service
- Laundry Service
- Ironing Service
- Special Meals on Request
- Conference facilities
- Wedding facilities
- Team Building
- Self-Braai / Barbecue
- Dining room
- Bar on the Premises
- Cots available
- Curio Shop
- Internet Access
- Tourism Information Desk
- Parking (open and off-street)
- Fireplace on the Premises
- Parking (off-street - open)
- Xhosa / Zulu
- Games Room
- Hiking / Walking Trails
- Swimming Pool
- Communal Satellite TV
- DVD and/or VCR
Ardmore Guest Farm Activities:
There are so many activities in and around Ardmore that you will not be short of things to do. Below is a selection of our top picks for what to do in the surrounding area whilst you stay with us.
- If you are interested in local arts and crafts, then you must visit the Ardmore ceramic art museum which is open every day. As is our African loom weaving project, with beautiful handwoven bags and cushions for sale made from hand dyed, spun, woven and sewn cotton.
- Visit the Amangwe crafts and beadwork community project selling locally produced crafts from 40 local beaders.
- Pop into the Steve Bull gallery to see some great works from the infamous local artist.
- Bass fishing and bird watching at our large farm dam, across the road roughly 400 m from the guest house.
- Enjoy the jungle gym for the kids, trampoline and table tennis.
- Take a dip in our swimming pool with fantastic views of Champagne Castle mountain.
- Take a 45 minute stroll up the hill above the main forest on the farm with views of the entire champagne valley.
- Beautiful mountain biking terrain, if you bring your own bike, feel free to explore the tracks around the farm.
- Relax and enjoy our beautiful tea garden where light lunches, tea and scones and apple pie are served.
- Have a drink in our Honesty bar, play a game of pool, table tennis, or foosball or watch some satellite television in the pub.
- Take a steep 90 minute hike to the trig beacon on Ardmore Hill, 230 m above the guest house, with stunning 360 views.
- Or if you can not keep offline, surf the internet with our high speed free wifi.
Ardmore Guest Farm Map:
Other Accommodation near Ardmore Guest Farm:
Accommodation options within 8km from Ardmore Guest Farm include:
Guest Rating: (3 reviews)
The Nest is a simply delightful hotel, set admidst some of the best scenery in Africa, where you can completely unwind. Swimming, hiking, horse-riding, bowls, tennis, golf, billiards, scenic drives, places of interest.
per person sharing
Guest Rating: (18 reviews)
Family owned, 1000 acre wilderness estate is set in the shadow of Cathkin Peak and Champagne Castle, part of the rugged Drakensberg mountains of Kwa-Zulu Natal, South Africa. Our grounds border the prestigeous Ukhahlamba Heritage Site.
There is a place in the mountains that will go straight to your head, hidden in the mysterious shadow of the majestic Mount Champagne, you'll find an upmarket, self-catering guest house called Monte Video Deo Gloria.
Watercolour sunrises & fiery mountain sunsets! Champagne Sports Resort is an award winning conference & golf resort that offers the ultimate "berg experiance in a conginial country club setting.
per person sharing
The 4-star Graceland Guesthouse and Country Cottages, set in the panoramic Champagne Valley region of the central Drakensberg, offers self-catering accommodation in four cottages.