Located in L’Agulhas (Cape Agulhas), the Agulhas Country Lodge is built from natural lime stone and blends into the background of a rocky hill. The Lodge, with its elevated position, has spectacular sea views from nearly every vantage point.
At the Agulhas Country Lodge the friendly staff are all committed to excellent service and they take great pride in their work. Some of our kitchen staff have been working at the lodge virtually since its inception and have made great strides in improving their skills. The atmosphere in our candlelit restaurant is relaxed and romantic with wood fires creating a cosy ambiance on chilly and windy nights.
We have a fully stocked bar with a lovely enclosed balcony with stunning sea views. The cigar lounge is very popular for after dinner cognac and cigars (we stocked excellent cognacs and Cuban cigars).
We serve a three course dinner with options (lovely vegetarian and gluten free dishes available as well, the owner is gluten free) and rely on local and seasonal produce and weather conditions when determining the menu, The menu is representative of local country cuisine and is well matched with a wine list which features wines from the Robertson area and the general Overberg region with wines from Elim, Napier and Bredasdorp. The restaurant also serves traditional South African cuisine with a modern twist.
Tables are decked out in white linen, Carol Boyes hand crafted cutlery, cut glass crystal stemware and plenty of candles which provide soft light with windows overlooking the bay.
- Visit the southernmost tip of Africa where the Atlantic and Indian oceans meet.
- The second oldest working light house in South Africa.
- Take a walk on the coast passing the historic Soldiers’ Pool to the light house.
- Ghost Corner hiking trail along the coast and up to the look-out on top of the hill behind the Lodge. Circular route starting at the Lodge.
- Bird watching, whale watching (July to early December).
- Safe swimming in Struisbaai at the longest uninterrupted white beach in Southern Africa.
- Kite surfing and other water sports.
- Canoes, surfboards and cycles available to rent in Struisbaai from Way Down Africa Adventures.
- Boat trips for pleasure or fishing; also deep sea fishing, book at the beautiful Struisbaai harbour.
- Tarred runway (1100 metres) at Andrew’s Field only 10km from Struisbaai.
- Aircraft welcome to fly in, Agulhas Country Lodge can arrange transport.
- Nature Reserves: Guided or self-drive visits to De Hoop (1 hour) or De Mond (25 minutes).
- Nuwejaarsriver Wetland Special Management Area – very exciting new reserve. Excellent bird watching with hides. (30 minutes away, close to Elim).
- Elim Wine Route - the southernmost wine route in Africa is open and well worth a visit. There are 6 wine estates, some with restaurants within 30 minutes drive.
- Farm visits available to wheat, merino and cattle farms, some offering country lunches.
- The picturesque village of Arniston is only 35 minutes drive away and is well known for its big sea cave and 200 year old fishermen’s village, Kassiesbaai. The Arniston Hotel serves delicious lunches.
- In Bredasdorp visits the Kapula candle factory, Julians Ceramics gallery and the unique shipwreck museum.
- The Bredasdorp Golf Course is a well maintained 9-hole course and is the southernmost golf course in Africa.
The Agulhas Country Lodge has 8 en suite bedrooms – all with sea-view balconies. There are bedrooms with ¾ twin beds and rooms with queen sized extra length beds.
All rooms have showers; some have baths and showers and the two honeymoon rooms (room 4 and 8) have Jacuzzi baths and double showers. A tea/coffee station is provided. All rooms have televisions with a DSTV selection; all rooms have heaters and all rooms have air-conditioning. An overnight laundry service is available if laundry is submitted before 17h00 in the afternoon.
We are a family run Business and all children are welcome.
Standard room with 2 separate 3/4 beds. En suite bathroom - choice between bath and shower facility, or shower only. Outside balcony with sea- and mountain views.
A standard room with 3 seperate 3/4 beds. En suite bathroom - choice between bath and shower facility, or shower only. Outside balcony with sea- and mountain views and garden access.
Luxury room with Queen size bed. En suite bathroom with Jacuzzi bath, double open shower and double basin. Mini bar and TV/DVD facilities in room. Air conditioned. Outside balcony with sea- and mountain views.
Direct Sea view room with Queen size bed, en suite bathroom and outside balcony with sea- and mountain views.
- Cancellation within 30 days of date of arrival: 25% of total reservation.
- Cancellation within 15 days of date of arrival: 50% of total reservation.
- Cancellation within 7 days of date of arrival: 100% of total reservation.
- No-shows or departures prior to scheduled date will incur 100% of the reservation total.
- Refunds and waivers at the sole discretion of the owners.
Rates are quoted in South African Rands per person sharing per night and include a full breakfast. A supplement for a single room is also quoted. No dogs or other pets are allowed. No self-catering facilities available.
PRE-PAYMENT: A 50% deposit is required to confirm a reservation. No reservation will be made without a deposit. The Lodge will issue confirmation of reservations on receipt of a deposit.
Follow the N2 from Cape Town to Caledon.
Drive through Napier and Bredasdorp.
In Bredasdorp, take the road to Struisbaai and L’Agulhas.
+- 35 km, on the main road, you will find the Guest House.