The unique features of Addo Elephant Park
include unrivalled natural diversity, with five of South Africa's seven major vegetation zones (biomes); the Big 7 (Elephant, rhino, lion, buffalo, leopard, whales and great white sharks) in their natural habitat; rich heritage of archaeological and historical sites and a wide variety of accommodation and activity options.
In addition, plans include the proposed proclamation of a 120 000 ha marine reserve that includes islands that are home to the world's largest breeding populations of Cape gannets and second largest breeding population of African penguins.
Addo Elephant Park Main Camp is situated close to the main gate on the R342 about 15km from Patterson.5 Things to Seek at Addo Elephant Park Main Camp:
• Spotted Hyena
• Cape buffalo
• Flightless dung beetle (which has right of way on the roads!)The following facilities are available at Addo Elephant Park Main Camp:
- A lookout platform and an underground hide provide views over a waterhole which is floodlit at night.
- A swimming pool, situated near the chalets, is available for overnight visitors.
Picnic and braai areas are available for day visitors, overlooking the waterhole in the rest camp.
- A picnic site, 'Jack's picnic site',situated within the botanical reserve in the main game area provides picnic, braai and ablution facilities.
- The SASOL Red Bishop Bird Hide overlooks a small wetland area.
- A shop selling curios, snacks and basic supplies is open between 08:00 and 18:00 (winter) or 08:00 to 19:00 (summer).
- An al-la-carte restaurant is open for all meals from 07:30 to 22:00. Bookings are advisable, especially for dinner.
- A fuel station selling petrol and diesel is available between 07:30 and 16:30.
- There is a public telephone and a post box near reception. Post is collected for delivery every week day morning before 07:00. A post office is situated in the town of Addo, approximately 15km from the park.
- Credit cards are accepted for payment of activities (except for the Alexandria Hiking trail, Zuurberg horse trails, Kabouga accommodation and the 4x4 trail), shop purchases, petrol and/or diesel and restaurant meals.
- A First National Bank with an ATM is situated in the town of Addo, 15km from the park. Other banking facilities are located in the town of Kirkwood, 35km from the park and Port Elizabeth, 75km from the park.Accommodation Types at Addo Elephant Park Main Camp
The popular main rest camp of the park offers a wide variety of accommodation units to suit all tastes and plenty of activities to keep visitors busy. A unique feature is the waterhole lookout point situated inside the camp and which is floodlit at night, as well as the underground hide, allowing close encounters with wildlife at the waterhole.View Room Types and RatesPlease Note
• All accommodation is serviced and equipped with crockery, cutlery, cooking utensils, bedding, towels and soap. Each accommodation unit has a braai area outside.
• Check in time for accommodation is 14:00 on the day of arrival. Check out time on the day of departure is 10:00 for accommodation and 12:00 for the caravan and tent sites.
• Please note that no meals are included in the accommodation rates.
• Accommodation will be serviced daily between 09:00 and 12:00.
• Sheets will be changed every 2-3 days, and towels will be changed every day. Please do not hesitate to ask our staff for extra soap, towels, blankets, etc.
• All our accommodation units have plug points available with a 220V electricity supply. Visitors need to provide their own international adaptors or two-point plug adaptors. The caravan and tent sites also each have a 220v electricity supply point.Important Notice
1. Accommodation rates do not include Conservation Fees
which are payable at the entrance gates.
2. Please ensure that you are familiar with the Rules & Regulations
of National Parks before making a booking.
Main camp reception is open from 07:00 to 19:00 daily
Matyholweni reception is open from 07:00 to 17:00 daily, while the gate is open until 18:30.
The gates are staffed by security guards after closing time. Visitors with accommodation bookings can still enter and exit the gate after closing times provided they inform reception of this.
Addo Elephant Park Main Camp Activities:
• Guided Game Drives
• Hop-oon Guides
• Self-Drive Game Viewing
• Horse Trails
• 4x4 Trail
• Alexandria Hiking Trail
The Alexandria Hiking Trail is a 36 km, two-day circular trail. The first day is 19.5 km and the second day, 16.5 km. The Langebos huts are situated at the trail base, providing accommodation for the beginning and/or end of the hike. The Woody Cape hut is situated at the end of the first day's walk. Hikers must carry their own provisions and equipment and the hike is not guided. The trail is well signposted.
• Marine Eco Tours
Other Activities at no extra cost:
• Self-drive wildlife viewing in the main game area and Colchester area on 120 km of tourist roads suitable fro normal sedan cars.
• Zuurberg hiking trails: 1-hour and 3-hour trails available in the Zuurberg Mountains.
• PPC Discovery Trail: a short walk in the main camp, one loop suitable for wheelchairusers and visually-impaired visitors.
• SASOL Red Bishop Bird Hide: in the main camp (suitable for wheelchair-users).
• Floodlit waterhole: at main camp (suitable for wheelchair-users).
• Underground viewing hide at main camp (suitable for wheelchair-users).
• Picnic and braai site: at main camp and in the botanical reserve Jack's Picnic site off the southern access road.
• Swimming pool: at main camp, only for overnight guests.
• Restaurant and curio shop: at main camp. Restaurant Tel: 042 2338674.
• Holiday programmes for children: during July and December holidays
Click to display the map
Health & Climate:
Rainfall is relatively evenly distributed throughout the year, but there are two peaks, in February-March and October-November. Frost occurs at times in winter.
Temperatures: Daily max - Jan 32 °C July 18 °C Daily min - Jan 15 °C July 5 °C. There is no natural water in this section of the park and all waterholes are fed by boreholes.
There are a number of small pans in the area but these are dry except in years of exceptional rainfall.
We had a really great stay, the Cabin was excellent and all staff friendly and very helpful.
The Hapoor Guest House we stayed in was better than expected. The entire house was very comfortable during our 2 night stay. Check-in and Check-out process was simple and straight forward. Same for booking of game drives and both our game drive guides and personal hop-on guides were so good that we were confident on our own in doing self-drives. The sunrise and stars at night are amazing. The work they do here on Addo should also be very much appreciated.
We had a super view on the waterhole and saw many animals. The rondavel was very clean and the fridge very spacious and useful. Maybe the chairs could be a bit more comfortable anD something to put your things on, a small table inside would have been nice. We can highly recommend this place.