Welgevonden Guest House
is a charming Guest House which is situated on a small farm in the heart of the Klein Karoo, on the edge of Calitzdorp, 300 m off the main road and 50 km west of Oudtshoorn.
The four double en-suite bedrooms are tastefully decorated and furnished with country style pieces. Enjoy the generous hospitality and relax in the lounge with open fireplace, television, games, books and kitchenette. A country style breakfast is served with apricots, figs and grapes. We have a 3 star grading form TBCSA.
Visit the three Port wine cellars within walking distance. Enjoy the sparkling swimming pool, the lush garden and the bird hide, or one of the many scenic walks or drives surrounding us.
The Cango Caves is some 60 km away. Calitzdorp offers 5 restaurants within walking distance from the guest house where you can sample typical Klein Karoo meals like Karoo lamb, ostrich or even Portugese food from our local Portugese lady.
Accommodation at Welgevonden Guest House:
Welgevonden has 4 bedrooms -
- 2 twin bedded rooms with showers en suite
- 1 double bedded room with bath en suite
- 1 double bedded room with shower en suite
The rooms are in an outbuilding dating back to 1880. All the rooms open onto a veranda which overlooks the garden. Reed ceilings, patchwork quilts, cross-stitch wall hangings, down duvets and family heirloom furniture reflects the lifestyle of the Klein Karoo.
And there are wall heaters, overhead fans and hair dryers to help make your stay even more comfortable.
Facilities & Services:
- Honeymoon Couples
- Pets only by Arrangement
- Laundry Service
- Ironing Service
- Limited Room Service
- Self-Braai / Barbecue
- Cots available
- Fireplace on the Premises
- Parking (off-street - open)
- Other Language
- Communal Television
- Swimming Pool
- DVD and/or VCR
Welgevonden Guest House Activities:
- Taste port and wine at 5 wine cellars
- Visit the cultural highlights - museum, DR Church, 27 wall hangings in the church hall, Arts Meander, freestyle organ recitals
- Browse through the collection of second hand books and Africana at the museum
- Try our local cuisine - Karoo lamb, bobotie or ostrich specialities
- Go fishing or have a picnic at the Nelsrivier Dam
- Buy fruit - fresh, dried or jarred!
- Soak up the mineral waters of the Spa (25 km)
- Watch the birds - ostriches and the smaller ones
- Taste homemade mustards and chilli sauces at Anna Sophia
- Buy a handmade pipe or knife at Ebenhardts and send a friend a local postcard
- Visit Gamkaberg Nature Reserve.
- Pick your own grapes at De Krans during February or apricots during November
Welgevonden Guest House Map:
Welgevonden Guest House Guest Reviews
Average Guest Rating:
out of 5
based on 3
Wonderful personal service with the gift of a bottle of wine made by the owners themselves. Rain and flood did nothing to dampen the atmosphere.
Rating: Reviewed by Mrs. Rotraud Kaim over a year ago
Really pleased with our stay, and one of the highlights of our holiday.
Rating: Reviewed by Doug Field over a year ago
Excellent accommodation for the price. Very warm welcome. Excellent breakfast. An address we can recommend.
Rating: Reviewed by Jacques Mallet over a year ago
Other Accommodation near Welgevonden Guest House:
Accommodation options within 8km from Welgevonden Guest House include:
Guest Rating: (3 reviews)
Die Dorpshuis Bed & Breakfast is centrally located in Calitzdorp and offers you comfortable and en-suite rooms each with a television. We also have a swimming pool to cool down in on a hot summers day.
per person sharing
The Queen of Calitzdorp is in the centre of Calitzdorp, the "Port Wine Capital". Several wine cellars and restaurants are within easy walking distance. Our rooms with balconies have views over the Boplaas vineyards or across the town towards the Swartberg
Guest Rating: (2 reviews)
Situated on Route 62, Soeterus Guest Farm is easily accessible and an ideal stop on the alternative route from Johannesburg to Cape Town. Starry nights and sunshine-filled days create the opportunity to relax and rejuvenate.
per person sharing
Only 4 hours from Cape Town on scenic Wine Route 62 and gateway to the Garden Route, is 4 star Calitzdorp Country House. Beautifully furnished with antiques, Persian rugs and original art, the House offers spectacular views across the fertile valley.
Guest Rating: (4 reviews)
This stylish 1830 homestead is centrally situated in the heart of the port capital of South Africa, Calitzdorp, overlooking port vineyards and within walking distance of all the wineries, galleries,and the museum in town.