The Tsitsikamma National Park forms a section of the Garden Route National Park and is situated at the heart of the picturesque tourist region known as the Garden Route, found in the Southern Cape of South Africa.
Tsitsikamma is a Khoisan (early inhabitants of the area) word meaning, “place of much water.”
Approximately 30% of the park is covered in fynbos (Cape Floral Kingdom), scattered amongst the forest vegetation, boasting a wide variety of beautiful flowers, including proteas and heath.
Many species of forest, fynbos and sea birds are present. View Room Types and RatesThings to seek
- Dolphins and porpoises
- African Black Oystercatcher
- Knysna Lourie
- Cape Clawless Otter
- Blue Duiker
- Killer whale
- African wild cat
- African weaselRooms at Storms River Rest Camp
All accommodation is serviced daily and provided with bedding, towels and soap.Camping at Storms River
All with communal ablution, laundry and washing up facilities. A maximum of six persons, one caravan with a side tent and one vehicle, or one tent and one vehicle, or one autovilla or motorised caravan will be permitted per site.The Campsite is not suitable for Motorhomes, Roof-top Tents or Caravans. It is only appropriate for tents to be pitched on the timber decks.
- Caravan only sites with power point and view
- Caravan only sites with power point and no view
- Tent only site with no power point but with a view
- Camping sites (caravan or tent)
- Camping (tent or caravan) without powerFacilities
- Shop where souvenirs and basic commodities may be purchased, a la carte restaurant, also serving light refreshments, laundromat and ironing room (flat-irons not supplied) and information desk at Storms River Mouth Rest Camp (Tsitsikamma Section).
- No ATM facility available
- Tigers Eye operates Tsitsikamma Restaurant.
- Fuel is available at Storms River Bridge (±25km from Storms River Rest Camp (Tsitsikamma Section)) and at Nature's Valley (adjacent Nature's Valley Rest Camp (Tsitsikamma Section)).
The Tsitsikamma Section of the Garden Route National Park is situated some 615km from Cape Town, 195km from Port Elizabeth and 68km from Plettenberg Bay.
The access route from the N2 highway and all internal roads are tarred. Car hire is available at Plettenberg Bay, which is also the nearest airport (limited scheduled flights). Airports are also found in George and Port Elizabeth.Gate Times
(as of 1 November 2010)
Gate opening 06:00 and closing times 22:00 due to restaurant service.
Security service, starting 18:00 - leaving 07:00 in the morning.
Late arrivals (after 18:00) may collect keys at the entrance gate.Overnight guests arriving after 18:00 should call the camp on (042) 2811 607 - key(s) may be picked up at the gate with the security service.
Day visitors allowed until 21:30.
- Check-in - 14:00
- Check-out - 10:00View Room Types and RatesNature's Valley Restcamp
The Nature's Valley Rest Camp is situated in the De Vasselot section of the Tsitsikamma National Park, on the banks of the Groot River, about 30km from the town of Plettenberg Bay about 40 km from Storms River Rest Camp.Adventure and Activities
- Nature's Valley is a bird watchers' and hiker's paradise
- Numerous day trails to choose from, are available
- Reception and the shop in the Nature's Valley Village
- Canoeing from the rest camp to the Groot River MouthRooms at Nature's Valley Rest Camp
All forest huts ad ablutions have electricity as well as electric geysers in the ablutions. Campsites have not been electrified at this stage.
Two coin-operated washing machines and tumble driers are available in the main ablution facility. Two-bed forest huts with communal ablution facilities are also available. Camping at Nature's Valley Rest Camp
All with communal ablution, laundry and washing up facilities.
A Maximum of six persons, one caravan with a side tent and one vehicle, or one tent and one vehicle, or one motorised caravan will be permitted per site.
Please note that there is no electric points at the camp sites.Important Notice
1. Accommodation rates do not include Conservation Fees
which are payable at the entrance gates.
2. Please ensure that you are familiar with the Rules & Regulations
of National Parks before making a booking.
Office hours: 07:30 – 18:00
Gate opening and closing times: 06:00 – 19:30
Security service 19:00 – 07:00
Visitors with reserved accommodation who arrive after 18:00 may collect their keys to their accommodation at the entrance gate.
Tsitsikamma National Park Activities:
All activities are dependent on favourable weather conditions.
Storms River Mouth Restcamp:
- The Otter Trail, 42 km long, 5 days and 4 nights
- Several nature trails (1-3 hours)
- Marine and River Activities (boat trips, canoeing, snorkelling and SCUBA diving)
- Bathing at a small beach and swimming pool (for resident guests only).
- All angling in the Tsitsikamma National Park is prohibited
Guided outings (Eco-guides from local communities)
- Evening film shows during peak periods (holiday programme during school holidays)
- Activities for School Groups.
Nature's Valley Restcamp:
- A network of 6 nature trails (2-6 hours - Bird watching)
- Board sailing, rowing, sailing and canoeing on the river. No powerboats
- Bathing at Nature’s Valley beach (2 km from restcamp)
There are many activities in the area of the park, for which staying in the park is an excellent base:
- Abseiling & climbing
- Mountain biking
- Tractor-trailer rides
- 4x4 trails
- Tree top tours
This is a multi-dimensional marine/forest national park. Remember to bring the following: bathing suit, angling equipment, hat, binoculars, sun block, walking shoes, bird and mammal reference books, snorkeling equipment.
Tsitsikamma National Park Map:
Health & Climate:
A temperate coastal climate with an annual rainfall of 1 200mm. The wettest months are May and October, and the driest are June and July.
Parking is an issue, and the rows to get in is a problem, the reception staff could of been nicer, the new cattle and Barron is much better improvement from the previous one.
Good and clean. Personnel friendly and pleasure to relax there.
We had a very nice and clean chalet on the waters edge. Apart from the rain we have no complaints thank you.
Guest Rating: (3 reviews)
In the heart of the Tsitsikamma Forest and at the foot of Storms River Peak, Andelomi Forest Lodge offers high-quality and affordable 3-star bed & breakfast accommodation.
per person sharing
Guest Rating: (6 reviews)
A unique 3 star Guest House with double and family rooms, rates inclusive of a health breakfast. One self-catering unit ideal for a family. Situated close to all activities in the area.
per person sharing
Guest Rating: (5 reviews)
Storms River Guest Lodge is located in the peaceful village of Storms River, in the heart of the Tsitsikamma, which forms part of the Garden Route. Tsitsikamma is a Khoi/Nama word meaning 'place of abundant water'.
Guest Rating: (4 reviews)
Comfortable and relaxing stay for visitors to the Tsitsikamma area. On offer are 8 guest rooms, with private verandahs and en-suite bathrooms. All rooms have TV with select DSTV, ceiling fans, heaters, coffee trays and bar fridges. Mountain views.
Guest Rating: (3 reviews)
Comfortable, tastefully decorated en suite rooms with private entrances, personal yet unintrusive hospitality, excellent South African Cuisine and one of the most beautiful settings.