The treasure of nature unique to Still Bay (Stilbaai) has attracted visitors to this Bay of Sleeping Beauty for centuries. The unique limestone area with its abundance of natural springs, provided the ideal habitat for ancient man, whose footprints still linger here.
For close on two hundred years Stilbaai has grown in favour as a holiday resort and retirement village for those charmed by the safety, tranquility and harmony.
It has long stretches of white sandy beaches, mild weather and a river which is navigable for 15 km. The weather is ideal for holiday making with moderate temperatures, and beautiful sunshine days.
Stilbaai offers wonderful water-sport facilities including fishing, scuba-diving and lots more as well as other types of sport.
It has a population of about 4000 permanent residents and also has two villages, Jongensfontein and Melkhoutfontein, within its boundary.
In line with what the tourist expects Stilbaai offers a wide variety of shopping amenities ranging from well-stocked modern supermarkets and convenience stores to smaller family-run concerns. Service providers such as the medical profession, ie doctors, dentists, a clinic and pharmacies are also available.
Stilbaai also boasts a large number of family friendly restaurants and up-market gift shops.
Stilbaai offers a wide range of accommodation, such as camping, caravanning self-catering private apartments and homes, chalets, as well as luxury guesthouses.
Jongensfontein, a coastal village, is 10 km away along the coast and offers a spectacular view on the ocean.
Melkhoutfontein, about 7 km inland from Stilbaai, is a friendly community mainly consisting of the descendants of the original fishermen of this area and are today mainly involved in the fishing and building industries.
* Enjoy the sun and the water of the endless beaches and river. Swimming is safe and all watersports can be enjoyed, with the exception of jetskis.
* Go snorkelling and scuba diving.
* The Goukou River is the only river in the area that is navigable for 15km.
* Excellent fishing from the beaches and rocks, as well as deep-sea fishing and river fishing
* Surfing conditions are recognised country-wide and are the best in the area.
* Play golf on a beautiful 9 hole course with a view stretching over the sea and a modern, spacious clubhouse.
* Tennis, bowels and squash are available.
* Cycling is very popular. Ride to Jongensfontein and back and then to Preekstoel and back. This is a 40km cycle all along the coast with spectacular views.
* Hiking routes along the coast, next to the river and through the Nature Reserve are available and very popular. Five hiking trails of between 2 and 5 hours are available.
* The small, but active fishing harbour is a wonderful attraction. The harbour is used especially by small concerns. Primarily Hake and Cob are sold here. Fresh fish may be bought at the harbour.
* See the remnants of an extinct culture. The ancient fishtraps are circular stone structures that the Khoi-San created hundreds of years ago to catch fish at low tide. Some of these traps are still maintained and used.
* In Jongensfontein the historic little White House serves as a local museum and information centre.
* Stilbaai Tourism Bureau houses a historical exhibition and adjoins a nature garden.
* Visit the Jagersbosch homestead, a national monument and the headquarters of the well known Jagersbosch Community Care Centre.
* Also visit the Soete-Arbeid Craft Centre, an art workshop and the Soete-Inval Botanical Garden at the Soeterus Care Centre in Melkhoutfontein.
* The Pauline Bohnen Nature Reserve is also another worthwhile area to visit.