Stellenbosch is renowned for its theatre, concerts, museums and works of art from a variety of artisans exhibited in gallerys, art centres or museums through town.
The Rembrant van Rijn Art Foundation, established in 1964, is housed in a noble old manor house that was saved from demolition when purchased by the Rembrandt Group. Here, some of the deeply moving scuptures of Anton van Wouw and Giacomo Manzu's famous nude, "Guantanamera", may be viewed. Of another genre is Jones' unique "Panorama of Cape Town", considered to be the most important piece of pictorial Africana in existence.
The University Museum has two divisions:
- the "Sasol Art Museum" that houses the following permanents collections: 19th- and 20th-century artworks; prehistoric artefacts from the Klasies River Cave and reproductions of San Rock art from Cedarberg; beautifully crafted household and ritual objects, clothing and weaponry from Southern, Western and Central Africa and a documented history of the University;
- "The University Art Gallery", where apprximately 10 exhibitions, focusing on contemporary South African Art, are presented each year.
The PJ Olivier Art Centre is part of the original Rhenish Complex. The core of the building dates back to the late 18th-century, but during the 19th-century it was transfored into imposing doublestorey building. The building was later developed into the first school for girls in South Africa. The PJ Olivier Art Centre was founded in 1953 and has steadily developed into a fully fledged educational institution.
The Stellenbosch Festival of Music and The Arts is held annually during the second half of September. Classical music featuring renowned South African and international musicians, traditional music, master-classes, art exhibitions, street festivals and children's programmes ensure that there is something for everyone.
In the oak-lined heart of South Africa's second oldest town, stands the Stellenbosch Village Museum, a group of carefully restored and furnished buildings representing the major stylistic periods of the previous three centuries.
The Thatched Schrederhuis is one of the First of Twelve simple dwellings which formed the pioneer settlement around which wild animals still roamed freely at night. Gabled Blettermanhuis relects the elegant life of leading Stellebosch citizens on the eve of the French Revolution in 1789
A more restrained atmosphere prevails at Grosvenor House, a neoclassical double-storey dating from around 1800. Berghhuis mirrors the amazing clutter of a typical victorian residence of later in that century.
Elsewhere in town the military museum in the V.O.C. Kruithuis, a powder magazine built by the Dutch East India Company in 1777.
The Toy And Miniature Museum in the old Rhenish Parsonage of 1815 will delight and enchant the visitor.