The largest town of the KwaZulu-Natal South Coast, Port Shepstone was founded in 1867 at the Mzimkulu River Mouth as a result of marble deposits found on the banks of the river.
A regular shipping service began here, and by the 1880's regular traffic in the exportation of marble, sugar block and lime moved through the port.
Many settlers of different origin boosted the town's economy and the town, named after former Natal Secretary for Native Affairs Theophilus Shepstone, disguises its agricultural and industrial wealth with its series of safe, sunny beaches.
Port Shepstone is a regional hospital in the Ugu district.
Hibiscus Private Hospital offers well-trained, friendly personnel and medical specialists from the local region and the nearby Durban metropolitan area to serve one of South Africa's largest medical communities.