The Albany Museum was established in 1855 and is the second oldest museum in South Africa.
The original Albany Museum was established by the Graham's Town medical-Chirurgical Society (later the Literary, Scientific and medical Society). The Museum has grown into a complex of separate museums which document the full spectrum of the social and natural environment, with particular reference to the Eastern Cape.
The museum is an affiliated research institute of Rhodes University and consists of a family of seven buildings which includes the Natural Sciences Museum, the History Museum, the Observatory Museum, Fort Selwyn, the Old Provost military prison, Drostdy Arch and the Old Priest’s House which is leased to the National English Literary Museum.
There are a number of Research Departments in the Natural Sciences Museum housing permanent collections of terrestrial insects, freshwater invertebrates, freshwater fishes, a plant herbarium, birds, palaeontological fossils, rocks and minerals, ethnographic and archaeological material.
The History Museum houses an important collection of historical artefacts as well as a genealogical archive relating to the 1820 British Settlers.
The Fine Art collection is also housed in the History Museum. All collections are curated by specialists in their fields.
The Museum also has important scientific and historical libraries.
Somerset Street, Grahamstown
Tel: (046) 622-2312