Mamre is situated between Darling and Atlantis on the R307, within an hour's drive of Cape Town.
It was first settled in 1701 when the Governor of the Cape, Willem Adriaan van der Stel decided to establish a military and cattle post in this area to protect the European settler's cattle from theft by the indigenous KhoiKhoi people.
In 1808, when the Cape Colony was again under British control, the region was transferred to the Moravian
Missionaries, Kohrhammer and Schmidt from Germany. In time a thriving mission station became established and all of the buildings dating from this period have been restored and were declared National Monuments in 1967.
Today the mission complex at Mamre provides a peaceful oasis under the oak trees.
Off the R307, between Atlantis and Darling.