This village originally was used as a harbour to export copper ore from the mines around Springbok, transported over the 104 km by ox-wagon.
Later a railway-line was built to connect to Port Nolloth, because many ore-carrying vessels were wrecked in the heavy seas and thick fog endemic to the west coast. The town now serves the fishing and diamond-mining community, since diamond dredgers use Hondeklip Bay as their base town.
Today Hondeklipbaai is a popular holiday destination, especially for farmers in the vast area. A great source of income for the town is the rich marine resources, especially the rock lobster, for which permits can be obtained at Springbok.
Apparently Hondeklipbaai (dog rock bay) got its name from a rock next to the police station that resembled a sitting dog, before it was struck by lightning.
Another story tells the tale of a pack of wild dogs that roamed the area and that was finally killed near this rock.
Various scenic dives and circular routes make for spectacular scenic drives during the flower season.
In season, a permit obtained in Springbok or Garies will allow you to dive for crayfish.
Circular routes back to the N7 make for spectacular scenis drives during the flower season.
The wreck of the Aristea that ran aground in 1945 is south of the town.
Click to display the map