From Robben Island where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned for 27 years to the Battle Fields Route - the history comes alive when travelling through the Historical Sites of South Africa.
The Apartheid Museum in Johannesburg gives you a glimpse of the violence of South Africa's past.
Similar historic sites are:
* Ghandi Route - KwaZulu Natal - follow the footsteps of Ghandi whilst living in South Africa
* Sterkfontein Caves - Johannesburg - where Mrs Ples, the skull of a 2 million year old female, was found.
* Burgersdorp - the oldest town in Eastern Cape
* Danielskuil - part of a Griqua missionary and of historical importance.
* Kleinplasie Living Open Air Museum - depicting the lifestyle of the early pioneer farmers
* Mgungundlovu - home of Dingaan, King of the Zulu's
* Venda - Land of Legend
* Spioenkop - KwaZulu Natal - the site of one of the most fearsome events of the Anglo-Boer War.
* Voortrekker Footsteps - start your tour in Estcourt and end it at Piet Retief's grave on the Dingaanstat site.
* Wonder Cave Kromdraai - Johannesburg - in the world-renowned valley of famous palaeontological sites containing the oldest relics of mankind.
* Wupperthal - Clanwilliam - Western Cape - old mission town
Museums in Cape Town, Johannesburg, Durban, Pretoria, Pietermaritzburg as well as all the major cities will offer you a comprehensive overview of the South African history.
visit the smaller towns to visit some of the most interesting regional museums.
The more than 300 museums all over the country reflect this heritage in a range of places.
Nelson Mandela Museum - Umtata
The Olive Schreiner House - Cradock
Observatory Museum - Grahamstown
Museum Transgariep - Philippolis
National Museum - Bloemfontein
War Museum of the Boer Republics - Bloemfontein
Cradle of Humankind - Johannesburg
Smuts House Museum - Pretoria
Museums and monuments - Pretoria
Sammy Marks Museum - Pretoria
Freedom Park - Pretoria
Soweto Inspirational House Museum - Soweto
Alanglade - Pilgrims Rest
Museums and Historic Places - Kimberley
Moffat Mission - Kuruman
Mine Museum- Kimberley
The Drostdy Museum - Swellendam
Shipwreck Museum - Bredasdorp
C P Nel Museum - Oudtshoorn
Afrikaans Language Museum - Paarl