In 1803, the London Missionary Society extended its mission north of the Orange River among a mixed community consisting of members of a Chaguriqua tribe and 'bastaards' (of mixed origin) from Piketberg, and local tribes like the Koranna and Tswana. Their leaders were Adam Kok II and Andries Waterboer. In 1813 the 'bastaard' were renamed Griquas, and the town Griquatown, by the Rev John Campbell.
Disputes Between the two leaders led to the Kok faction leaving Griquatown for Philippolis and Kokstad. After the discovery of diamonds at Kimberley, owners of Griquatown district came into further dispute. The Keate arbitration awarded the area to Waterboer, who immediately sought Crown protection. This led to the solony of Griqualand West, which was later to be annexed to the Cape.
The first coucil chamber of the giquas, and the execution tree where Waterboer hanged criminals, can be seen in Water Street. Griquatown is known for its semiprecious stones, tiger's eye and jasper. The town is a centre for stockbreeding.
Griekwastad is situated in the Nortern Cape, between Kimberly and Upington. It is by far the best crossing point on your tour between the other provinces and the world famous Witsand Nature Reserve, Augrabies, Namibia and Namaqualand.