The inhabitants of Elandskloof are mostly descendants of the Khoi people who lived in the area as stockfarmers even before the time of Jan Van Riebeeck.
In 1881 the Dutch Reformed Church purchased the land, today still known as Elandskloof, and a missionary station was established. In the early 1900's a school was built. In 1961 (during the Apartheid's era) the church sold the land to a farmer and the inhabitants were scattered over the Western Cape after being a self-sufficient community for over a century.
With the change of government in 1994 and the new land refrm policy the struggle started for the Elandskloof people to get their rightful land back. In 1996 they succeeded and slowly fut surely the children and grandchildren of the Elandsklowers began the great trek back to their heritage.
Everything they once had had to be rebuilt. It is a big task, but the community has the will and version for the future.
The church has been restored to its origianl glory. Every Sunday morning at 10h00 there is a church service. Visitors are welcome to join in.
It is situated 17 km south-east of Citrusdal, surrounded by part of the Koue Bokkeveld Mountains on the road to Ceres. It is reached by a partly gravel road.