Betty's Bay is situated on the scenic whale coast route between Cape Town and Hermanus. Being a part of Southern Africa's first internationally recognized UNESCO Biosphere Nature Reserve (The Kogelberg) the whole area is considered the heart of the Cape Floral Kingdom with some 1600 species.
It lies approximately 90kms from Cape Town and is home to the Harold Porter Botanical Gardens - just off the R44 - with indigenous flowers, fynbos covered mountain slopes, waterfalls , streams and dark pools is within minutes away. Lovely walks can be taken here and there is also a restaurant within the Gardens that could be visited for light meals or drinks.
Betty’s Bay is also home to a colony of threatened African Penguins (one of only three land based colonies in the country). Other local wildlife attractions include baboons, otters, great white sharks and wild horses.
In addition, the area offers a wide range of activities including surfing, dune surfing, mountain hiking, kayaking, scuba diving, bird watching, shark cage diving and horse riding and is close to wine-routes in Hermanus, Franschhoek and Stellenbosch.
A number of world class golf courses are in close vicinity. The area also has ample amenities including restaurants, pubs, petrol stations and nearby spa facilities.
The road from Betty’s Bay to Gordon’s Bay on the R44 is considered one of the most spectacular drives in the world.
Betty's Bay Activities:
Betty’s Bay is a heaven for the outdoor enthusiast:
- Bird watching, Cape Otter, Seals and dolphins are often seen.
- Whale watching from May to November.
- A variety of small antelope, such as Klipspringer, Greisbok, Porcupine. Lynx ,Baboons, Dasies, Mongoose , even Leopard and other smaller mammals are often seen.
- White unspoilt beaches to swim or just stroll.
- Many hikes and trails within Betty's Bay and the Kogelberg Biosphere Reserve. Rock climbing.
- Mountain biking trails
- Sand Boarding at Blesberg.
- Scuba Diving, Snorkling, Fishing and surfing on the Atlantic Ocean.
- Windsurfing and Canoeing in one of the fresh water Lakes or rivers in the area.
- The world class Golf courses of Arabella, Erinvale and Hermanus.
- Spoil yourself and indulge at the award winning Arabella Spa and Wellness centre.
- Close to all major southern Cape wine growing regions.
Click to display the map