Wilderness National Park
lies in the heart of South Africa's famous Garden Route National Park
, a charming world of lakes, rivers, fens, estuaries and beaches gently unfolds against a backdrop of lush forest and lofty mountains.
Nature trails wind through densely wooded forest and along tranquil rivers, affording you the opportunity to encounter the brilliantly coloured.
Knysna lourie, or one of the five kingfisher species that occur here. The series of lakes connected by the Touw River (Eilandvlei, Langvlei and Rondevlei) host a variety of aquatic species and is an internationally proclaimed Ramsar site.
During the spring, the lakes are surrounded by a carpet of flowers, further enhancing the verdant beauty of this wetland national park.
Facilities at the camp include a shop where basic commodities may be purchased; no restaurant; laundromat and dryer. Important Notice
1. Accommodation rates do not include Conservation Fees
which are payable at the entrance gates.
2. Please ensure that you are familiar with the Rules & Regulations
of National Parks before making a booking.Ebb & Flow Restcamp (South)
* All accommodation is serviced daily and provided with bedding, towels and soap.
* 4-bed family cottages, each with two bedrooms, one bathroom (bath), open plan, partially equipped kitchen. Please indicate whether you would prefer a double bed and 2 single beds or single beds only, subject to availability.
* 4-bed log cottages on wooden stilts, each with two bedrooms, one bathroom (bath & shower), open plan, partially equipped kitchen. Please indicate whether you would prefer a double bed and 2 single beds or single beds only, subject to availability.
* Forest Cabins – 4 beds and 2 beds – ablutions and partially equipped kitchens. A communal kitchen for cooking.
NB: Microwave ovens are available for hire from Reception.Ebb & Flow Restcamp (North)
* 2-bed Rondavel, each with bathroom (shower) and basic kitchen equipment.
* 2-bed Rondavel, communal ablution facilities and basic kitchen equipment.
NB: The rondavels are basic and are classified as budget accommodation.Caravan & Camping
* Both restcamps have caravan and campsites on the banks of the Touw River, communal ablution and scullery facilities.
* Some sites at Ebb & Flow Restcamp (South) are equipped with 220V power points.
* The power points are for caravan plugs only; to be able to use a normal three-point plug you need the applicable adapter.
* Portable braais are supplied - please inquire at Reception.
* A maximum of six persons, one caravan with a side tent and one vehicle, or one tent and one vehicle, or one autovilla or one motorised caravan will be permitted per site.Facilities
* Many facilities are available in the towns of Wilderness and George.
* There is no shop in the Restcamp, however vending machines are available at Reception.
* The closest restaurants are in the town of Wilderness – a list is available at Reception.
* Laundromat and dryer.
* Medical doctors, a dentist a pharmacy and the postal agency are available in the town of Wilderness.
Wilderness National Park Activities: Recreational Activities
* Bathing, rowing, fishing, at Wilderness beach, the Touw River and some of the lakes.
* Water-skiing is restricted to Island Lake and Swartvlei.
* Canoes are hired from Eden Adventures
* DSTV in a communal area.
* Table tennis in a communal area.
* Volleyball and basket ball.
* Bird hides at Langvlei and Rondevlei.
Adventures Wilderness National Park Trails
There are five trails all located in the National Park, all with varying distances and degrees of difficulty.
Start at the Ebb & Flow Rest Camp (Wilderness Section) and canoe the winding Touw River, which leads to Wilderness beach or gently canoe on the Wilderness Lagoon. Canoes available for hire from Eden Adventures.
There are two scenic routes for mountain biking. Bikes equipped with child seats are also available. Mountain bikes available for hire from Eden Adventures in the park.
Whether on a short 10m abseil or a 45m drop next to a roaring waterfall, reach your goals you perceived to be unobtainable. (Eden Adventures).
Fishing is allowed in the following sections of Wilderness Section of the Garden Route National Park - Leentjiesklip, Kleinkrans, Sandhoogte, Swartvlei, Eilandvlei, and Gericke’s Point.
Due to the many different ecosystems within the park ranging from the indigenous forest to the rocky shore, Wilderness Section of the Garden Route National Park has become a bird paradise.
Experience the freedom of paragliding with experienced operators. (Wilderness Eco Tourism at 044 877 0045.)
Wilderness National Park Map:
Health & Climate:
Temperate coastal climate with rain occurring throughout the year. September and October reflect the highest rainfall.
It was most unfortunate that our stay was only a brief one. We will definitely try to return for longer to repeat a most relaxing and enjoyable stay.
It is a superb spot. We have visited many of the National Parks in South Africa and a lot of similar places elsewhere. Just for a short relaxed stopover this spot ranks highly.
Check out time if possible to change from 9am to 10:30 or 11am. Accommodation was comfortable.
Ideally situated for nature & bird lovers with excellent restaurants and beach facilities in close proximity.
Ichibi Lakeside Lodge Wilderness is a unique lodge in the Wilderness area of the lush Garden Route in South Africa. Hidden away from the bustling local village, The Lodge is within minutes from all surrounding activities and attractions.
per person sharing
Bleshoener is a spacious and private four bedroom home situated on Swartvlei lake just 30 minutes drive from George Airport in the heart of the Garden Route National Park.
Beside Still Waters is located in the heart of South Africa's magnificent Wilderness National Park. This location is ideal for visitors from all corners of the globe to explore and experience unsurpassed natural beauty, rich bird and animal life.
per person sharing
Guest Rating: (1 review)
Lakeside Lodge & Spa is unique and offers luxury accommodation. Nestled within the magnificent Wilderness National Park amidst lush vegetation, Lakeside Lodge & Spa literally is situated on the banks of the beautiful Swartvlei Lake.
Pine Lake Marina is the ideal family holiday destination. Practical self-catering accommodation, extensive facilities and diverse activities will keep young and old entertained.