Royal Natal National Park Drakensberg
- in the The Northern Drakensberg
- boasts some of the most splendid mountain scenery in Africa. The main feature is the world famous Amphitheatre, a rock wall approximately five km in length, and 500m high.
Above the amphitheatre is Mont-aux-Sources peak where, as its name implies, the Orange river starts its long journey to the Atlantic ocean and Thukela river cascades down the face of the amphitheatre, in one of the highest waterfalls in the world, on its way to the Indian ocean. Accommodation
Accommodation within the park can be found at Thendele
Rest Camp and Thendele Lodge
The Northern Drakensberg is supported mostly by the town of Bergville
with a variety of accommodation options as well as accommodation in the larger Northern Drakensberg
High season dates and rates are applicable from:
12 December 2018 to 8 January 2019
20 March 2019 to 8 April 2019
19 April 2019 to 22 April 2019
14 June 2019 to 15 July 2019
8 August 2019 to 11 August 2019
20 September 2019 to 6 October 2019
High season rates are also applicable over any events. Activities
The most popular activity at Royal Natal is undoubtedly hiking. A comprehensive hiking guide is available for purchase at the Visitor Centre, at Thendele camp office and at the main entrance gate.
The guide shows a map of the park and the network of hiking paths which visit every part of the park from the gentle walk to Fairy Glen to the challenging hike up the Crack and down the Mudslide.
Trout fishing at Royal Natal is available in two dams in the park and in the Mahai and Thukela rivers, and picnicking and swimming in the clear mountain streams are popular pastimes.
The stables at Rugged Glen
provide opportunities to ride into the mountains for unique views and sightings of mountain reedbuck and grey rhebuck that seem to have no fear of people on horse back. Attractions:
- Thendele is located at the foot of the iconic uKhahlamba- Drakensburg
- Amphitheatre, a rock wall 5km in length and some 500m in height
- The world- famous Chain Ladder is the link to exploring the vast wonders of the iconic uKhahlamba- Drankensburg Amphitheatre summit.
- The cascading Tugela Falls in Royal Natal is one of the world’s highest waterfalls and the ideal backdrop for a picnic.
- Mont-Aux-Sources, as the name suggests, is the source of five of South Africa’s major rivers, including the Orange and Tugela rivers
- Queens Causeway- is a wheelchair friendly boardwalk following the Mahai river.
We stayed in #4 Thendelecamp, lower, what a experience, unit was well equipped, nothing was needed, this is like being in heaven, the only comment is that the facility needs a bit of TLC, otherwise perfect. We will be back..
Guest Rating: (4 reviews)
Thendele Lodge, situated in the Royal Natal Park in the Drakensberg, is a tranquil, exclusive lodge with magnificent views of the Amphitheatre from every window within its own secluded garden.
Guest Rating: (1 review)
Experience the stunning natural beauty of the Drakensburg, while enjoying numerous onsite activities. Mont-Aux-Sources welcomes guests from around the world and is renowned for its warmth and hospitality.
per person sharing
Guest Rating: (112 reviews)
Royal Natal Thendele camp is situated in one of the most picturesque settings in the Royal Natal Park in the Drakensberg with a view of the world famous amphitheatre from every chalet.
Guest Rating: (7 reviews)
The Cavern is in the Mont-aux Sources area of the Northern Drakensberg and is only 350 km from Johannesburg and 280 km from Durban.
per person sharing