For those looking for luxury African safaris that offer the ultimate in travel convenience and on-site facilities, Tswalu Kalahari Reserve
The facilities extend to even before guests have arrived - from the Anglo American hangar at Johannesburg International Airport, Tswalu has its own air shuttle that flies direct to the reserve seven days a week.
At Tswalu Kalahari Reserve, the game-viewing opportunities are unparalleled. Guided walks meander across silent red dunes. Drives in open-sided safari vehicles traverse the Kalahari wilderness and stop at the most scenic spots to allow visitors to enjoy an impressive sunset or splendid bush dinner.
Bird-watching, star-gazing and exciting visits to the habituated meerkat dens of Tswalu are just some of the activities on offer at Tswalu. Optional horseback trails, with a qualified guide, enable guests to become one with nature and to experience close encounters with wildlife.
In addition the safaris such allow guests the opportunity of visiting archaeological sites and viewing rock engravings in and around the reserve. Special-interest courses in archaeology, ethno-botany and photography, as well as golfing at the nearby Sishen Golf Course are also available on request.
Tswalu Kalahari Reserve accommodation: The Motse
Sublime accommodation in 9 individual legae set at the foot of the Korannaberg Mountains with sweeping views of the Kalahari. Three of the legae (suites) have been designed as spacious double suites (Motse family suites) with 2 separate bedrooms, each with an en-suite bathroom, connecting to a luxurious separate living room, and are perfect for parents travelling with minor children.
Set amid two rolling mountain ranges, Tarkuni is an oasis of serenity with beguiling views on every side. The private homestead accommodates up to 10 guests in five luxurious en-suite bedrooms, each with its own private deck and star bed and boasts a vast open-plan lounge and dining room, an intimate mezzanine library, and a spa therapy suite. A covered deck leads to a private tsala and swimming pool. A dedicated guide, tracker and vehicle are at your disposal, while a personal assistant and housekeeper will ensure you are well looked after.
Tswalu Kalahari Reserve is a place where children are gladly welcomed. With a range of fun activities and accommodation especially suited to kids, this is a place where your children will feel stimulated, happy and above all, at home.
The Malori Star-Bed
Imagine sleeping in a luxury king-size bed on a raised deck in the middle of the reserve, surrounded by the calls of nocturnal animals, with nothing between you and the brilliant stars of the Kalahari night sky, without compromising on luxury.
Egyptian cotton linen, luxury toweling robes and slippers, and an adjacent outdoor toilet, basin and shower ensure comfort and convenience, while sun downers, snacks, and dinner give new meaning to the concept of glamping with your partner or the whole family – maximum of 4 persons. The Malori sleep-out deck maximizes the exquisite panoramic views of the vast plains of the Green Kalahari and is orientated to showcase the incomparable Kalahari sunsets.
Tswalu daily scheduled service direct to the reserve`s own world-class tarred airstrip.
Please note that luggage (must be soft sided bags) is restricted to a maximum of 44 pounds (20 kg) on Tswalu scheduled flights, inclusive hand luggage. Extra seats may be purchased, at standard rates, should guests wish to travel with excess luggage (will allow for 50 kg / 110 pounds extra in soft sided bags). Complimentary storage facilities are available for excess luggage in both Cape Town and Johannesburg. Transfers between the private hangars, and the main terminal building; rental car companies; and airport hotels are included in the above costs, but must be booked with reservations in advance.
Children under 2 years old fly for free, and will be seated on parent`s lap.
Tswalu Kalahari Reserve Activities:
Tswalu Kalahari believes that the day’s activities should be created around guests individual needs; a personal consultation upon arrival ensures that you select exactly what you want to do, from activities which include:
- Game drives in open-sided canopied safari vehicles. Our expert rangers and trackers are specially trained in the unique Kalahari ecology
- Bush walks allowing the chance to get closer to the land; for adult guests, we can also arrange night walks which uncover the magic of the Kalahari after sunset and even tracking of desert black rhino on foot by day
- Encounters with meerkat colonies; viewing these enchanting animals at close range is possible at Tswalu
- Horse-riding safaris led by experienced guides, accompanied by grooms. Eleven top quality horses can accommodate all levels of experience from the absolute beginner to the advanced equestrian; tuition in an enclosed arena can also be arranged and all riding equipment is supplied. Few experiences rival riding through a herd of sable antelope on horseback
- Star-gazing under the Kalahari’s “diamond skies”
- Sleep-outs on the Kalahari’s dunes; Tswalu’s sleep-outs are authentic, “no-frills”, ranger accompanied nights under the stars
- Exploring extraordinary archaeological sites in the Korannaberg hills where some of the San rock art may date to 380,000 years ago
- Discovering Tswalu in the traditional way in a classic Kalahari donkey cart, still a significant mode of transport for many here today
- Hot air ballooning over the endless savannahs can also be arranged; here prior booking is essential
- Dune dining in the desert where guests can try dishes inspired by the Kalahari
- Witness conservation in action when you join Tswalu’s conservation team and researchers out for a day in the desert
- Learn the art of propelling arrows in private archery sessions
Click to display the map
Health & Climate:
Summer months Nov - May (average maximum 38 degrees)
Winter months Jun - Oct (average maximum 25 degrees) - warm clothes, jackets, trousers, cap.
Fantastic place and fantastic people. We have been travelling for 15 days in South Africa but yje lodge was definetely the best we had. We liked the food, the rooms very much with that creative furniture and we enjoyed game drives.