Situated on the Scenic Route in Calitzdorp, Western Cape, South Africa, the Port-Wine Guest House is a historical building built in 1835 and beautifully restored to its former glory.
There are 9 luxury en-suite bedrooms with four-poster beds, a cosy atmosphere with fireplaces in the lounge and diningroom and a full bar. Enjoy typical Karoo breakfasts, or arrange for dinner as well. There is a registered tour guide in attendance, should you wish to experience the area to its full potential.
Arrange for Port tasting - there are 3 Cellars within 1 km. Or go hiking, mountainbiking or birdwatching, or visit the local museum or the Hennie Cloete Nature Garden just 200 m away. Should you prefer driving, there are a number of scenic drives in our area - visit the Seweweeks Poort, the Groenfontein/Kruisrivier Drive, the Rooiberg Pass, the Huisrivier Pass, the Swartberg Pass, the Cango Caves, the Outeniqua Pass, the Robinson Pass, Meirings Poort or `The Hell`.
5 en-suite double rooms
4 en-suite twin rooms
1 en-suite twin room which is wheelchair accessible with a roll-in shower and required grab rails in the bathroom.
A family unit with two en-suite rooms sleeping 5 in total and a private entrance.
- 9 luxury en-suite bedrooms
- Four poster beds
- Ceiling fans, heaters
- Tea/coffee making facilities
- Complimentary port wine
- Lounge and Dining room with fire place
- Wheelchair friendly
- Restaurant (fully licensed & open to public)
- Vine-covered patios
- Large swimming pool
- Fragrant rose garden
- Secure off-road parking
The Port Wine Guest House Activities:
- Go for a leisurely walk and do some wine and port tasting, or just go for a walk in the vineyards.
- Walk through the town and enjoy its historical architecture, visit an art gallery, listen to an organ recital, learn more about our history at the Museum, or be moved by the wall hangings in the church hall.
- Have an excellent cup of coffee/tea and a light lunch at Die Handelshuis, OR let Tracey pamper you with a beauty treatment or massage.
- Walk through the Hennie Cloete Veldtuin and discover the magical world of the succulent Karoo. Visit Judy Bumstead at her art studio in the Veldtuin.
- Visit Derick McKenzie in his photograph studio in the Old Post Office.
- Bring your binoculars and go bird watching. During November and February respectively, you can pick your own apricots or grapes at De Krans and stay with them for a country lunch.
- Buy fresh fruit, the best dried fruit and sweets (Elnatan), as well as fruit preserves. Simply go fishing at our local dam; / Visit Ebenhardts to buy a handmade pipe.
The Port Wine Guest House Map:
The Port Wine Guest House Guest Reviews
Average Guest Rating:
out of 5
based on 4
We were surprised to find this nice guesthouse with swimming pool and a no nonsense SA host who spoke excellent Dutch and was a certified guide of SA. Though no airco the rooms were cool and spacious. Breakfast was good with home made products and tea and a glass of port waiting in the room. Good food at the "Handelshuis" restaurant around the corner.
Rating: Reviewed by wolter kymmell over a year ago
Pleasant and welcoming hosts, safe off road parking, very nice lounge with a much needed fireplace, attentively served breakfast. Nice position.
Rating: Reviewed by Gerald Steward over a year ago
Very clean comfortable accommodation, tranquil surroundings in beautiful setting. Good log fire to keep you warm. Very good breakfast.
Rating: Reviewed by David Coetzee over a year ago
Great. Very comfortable with great hosts.
Rating: Reviewed by Ross Richards over a year ago
Other Accommodation near The Port Wine Guest House:
Accommodation options within 8km from The Port Wine Guest House include:
Guest Rating: (3 reviews)
Die Dorpshuis Bed & Breakfast is centrally located in Calitzdorp and offers you comfortable and en-suite rooms each with a television. We also have a swimming pool to cool down in on a hot summers day.
per person sharing
Guest Rating: (5 reviews)
Situated in Calitzdorp, a corner of Kannaland in the Klein Karoo, reserved for lovers of port wines, quaint old buildings and peace of mind.
per person sharing
The Queen of Calitzdorp is in the centre of Calitzdorp, the "Port Wine Capital". Several wine cellars and restaurants are within easy walking distance. Our rooms with balconies have views over the Boplaas vineyards or across the town towards the Swartberg
Guest Rating: (2 reviews)
Situated on Route 62, Soeterus Guest Farm is easily accessible and an ideal stop on the alternative route from Johannesburg to Cape Town. Starry nights and sunshine-filled days create the opportunity to relax and rejuvenate.
per person sharing
Only 4 hours from Cape Town on scenic Wine Route 62 and gateway to the Garden Route, is 4 star Calitzdorp Country House. Beautifully furnished with antiques, Persian rugs and original art, the House offers spectacular views across the fertile valley.