Silver Hill Lodge
is a Wildlife Sanctuary, a privately owned estate situated in the beautiful Kamberg Valley of the Central Drakensberg with no less than 7 endangered species. It is a mere 35 minutes from Nottingham Road and Mooi River. The Little Berg mountain range, with Mount Cleopatra, Mount Erskine and Mount Lebanon provide the awesome backdrops of the estate.
This area is famous with Nature Lovers, Hikers and Fisherman alike, and if you simply enjoy the peace and tranquility of the mountains, then visit our paradise. There are many activities to keep the energetic going and for the more relaxed to simply sit and absorb the surroundings is awe-inspiring. Enjoy trout fishing in our dams or in rivers and streams that run abundantly through the estate. Small waterfalls cascade in the higher grounds of the mountain slopes and little springs pop up in unexpected places.
There are five dams on the estate and a wetland. The estate also boasts its own mountain and natural forest. Have a picnic or sundowners on the banks of the river, around a wood fire. Enjoy the sounds of the river gushing over the rocks into rock pools. In summer this is a fun spot for a quick dip to cool off or swim. Take a stroll down to our wetlands or along the many trails on the estate.
A hike up the mountain will lead you to breath taking views of the Kamberg Valley. Along the way there are numerous types of Flora and Fauna, animal life, buck and Eland to look out for. Also resident in the higher lying regions of the mountains are the Mountain Baboon.
Silver Hill Lodge accommodation:
The Silver Hill Lodge consists of a Star Graded Bed & Breakfast Lodge and Ungraded self catering units.
The Mountain Lodge:
Luxury room with Queen size bed & 2 or 3 single beds on the mezzanine level. En-suite bathroom with bath & shower. Dressing table with hair dryer, tea & coffee station, DStv (10 channels), under-floor heating at the Queen size bed & beautiful views.
Activities in the Silver Hill Lodge area:
- Game Viewing
- A 9-hole Golf Course only 3km’s away at Glengarry.
- Horse Riding 4kms at the Spotted Horse.
- A visit to the Kamberg Nature Reserve to see Wildebeest among other animals and world renowed
- A visit to the Highmoor Nature Reserve for a picnic or to fish in their excellent Trout dams.
- Alternatively you can start your hike to Giants Castle from Highmoor or just absorb the picturesque views of the Drakensberg.
- The Giants Castle Nature Reserve is also close by with trails to the dam and Bushman Caves.
- A slow drive around on “The Midlands Meander” famous for it Arts and Crafts, by creative folk selling directly from their homes as well as extravagant and quaint restaurants, Pubs, Hotels and Country Houses is a must for everyone.
- The Crane Foundation is close by on good roads. Visit them to learn more about this incredible bird and the plight to save them from extinction.
- Further off are the Howick Falls and Midmar Dam approx. 45 minutes away.
- Here you can enjoy the flea markets, restaurants and parks around the famous Waterfall or picnic around the Midmar dam while boats and yachts take to the water.
- Midmar is famous for its `Midmar Mile` open water swim held every year in February.
Functions at Silver Hill Lodge:
- Conference facilities
- Wedding venue
Facilities at Silver Hill Lodge:
- Bar lounge
- Sun lounge
- Dining room