Shikwari Game Reserve
- Owner-managed by the Lawrie family and offering two camps on a plains game reserve situated in the North Eastern Limpopo below the escarpment with majestic views of the Northern Drakensburg Mountains. The reserve offer view of plain game with walks or drives.
Shikwari with cathedral-like thatch roof; offers a fully licensed bar, lounge and dining room which is also open to our Pangolin self- catering guests for meals. These should be booked with accommodation or 24 hours ahead. Also to use the free Wi-Fi during the day.
Guided Game drives and walks with a FGASA guide are available here at the lodge and for Big 5 Safari’s to a nearby private reserve and to Kruger National Park. Our reserve is close to Kruger Park, Nyani Cultural Village, The Blyde River Dam Boat Trip, The Panorama and Blyde Canyon, Jessica Hippo plus many other sightseeing attractions.
Accommodation at Shikwari Game Reserve: Camp 1 Shikwari Suites 4 star graded
Five affordable luxury thatched suites; one a family suite, tucked away in the bush are decorated with colonial style furniture and luxurious textiles. Relax in the lounge or on the open veranda taking in the view and cool off in the tranquil plunge pool. Caring staff offer friendly relaxed service in amazing bush surroundings. The 3 course Dinner plus Buffet Continental and Plated English Breakfast included in the rate is served. Al fresco, weather permitting, either on our deck boma or on the large veranda at the front of the lodge or in the dining room if the weather is inclement.
The suites offer a choice of King or Twin beds both made up with fine percale linen. Each suite that accommodates 2 adults and 2 children age 10 to 12 yrs and has a private bathroom with outdoor shower and sitting area plus a small patio. The Wild Fig Family Suite with separate room for children 10 to 12 yrs on bunk beds.
Camp 2 Pangolin Rondavels
This is a comfortable rustic camp with meal option offering 4 rondavels accommodating 8 adults. Two rondavel shared a communal bath communal bathroom and outdoors shower and the other two have newly built Bush Bathrooms consisting of outdoor shower and covered toilet and basin. (semi open air). These are heated by Solar.
All the other amenities are shared such at the fully equipped kitchen and lounge with premium DSTV. In the garden there is a pool and a boma for braai’s shared between the four rondavels. Each rondavel has a choice of a king or twin beds, a wardrobe, dressing table, chairs and a small fridge with freezer. Tea and Coffee Tray.
This rustic camp can be booked either individually or as a whole for a family get together or a group of friends giving complete exclusivity. Children from 2 yrs are welcome at this camp and up to the age of 12 yrs old; 2 children can be accommodated in each rondavel are at a child rate when sharing with parents and a placed on our “Snooza Beds”. Teens from the age or 13 years are charged the adult sharing rate and accommodated in own room or with another adult or child in both camps.
Dinner and Breakfast are included in the rates. The suites offer:
- Choice of King or Twin beds with the exception of the family suite which has a Queen bed in the main room and bunk beds in a separate room.
- Egyptian Cotton Percale linen
- Air conditioning
- Ceiling fans
- Hospitality Trays with Fair Trade coffee which is locally roasted and ground, a choice of quality teas and homemade cookies.
- Mini fridge – stocked on request (order will be place on account)
- Private Bathrooms - Large oval baths and Outdoor showers
- Bathrobes and slippers
- Fluffy white towels and face clothes.
- Locally sourced natural toiletries - Liquid Soap/Shampoo; Hand & Body lotion is supplied.
- Hairdryer on request (deposit will be placed on account)
- Small seating area on veranda.
- Turn down Service with Shikwari’s homemade nougat
- Feather and Re-puffable Pillows,
- Light, airy down Duvets or Synthetic for allergies
- Turn downs with Shikwari’s homemade Nougat
This camp is totally separate from the luxury 4 star graded Shikwari Suites. Next year hoping for grading 3 stars; after we have added all the “Bush Bathrooms”. Two are already done. Although not graded they are well received by all guest. Beds are all made up with Cotton Percale sheets, the decor is rusti and furniture is antique wooden cottage design. This camp has meal optons - Self cater, B&B, Dinner & Breakfast.
- There are 4 Rondavels accommodating two adults and 2 children in each.
- With bed, wardrobe, seating, luggage rack. Hospitality Tray and small Fridge/Freezer.
- Guests have a choice of either king-size or twin beds.
- Children under 12 yrs and under are accommodated with parents on fold out beds.
- Please advise on booking. 2 children per rondavel max.
- The camp has a communal lounge with Premium Satellite DStv,
- A large communal family bathroom with bath, toilet and basin services 2 rondavels
- Woodpecker & Hornbill Rondavels have“Bush Bathrooms” with outdoor shower plus a toilet and basin.Semi Open air.
- There is a fully equipped kitchen on an open patio with extra fridge/freezer, 2 ovens & Electric and Gas hobs, microwave, toaster & kettle also all serving dishes, crockery,cutlery glassware cutlery & placemats. For a Group one can also use the larger Fridge/Freezer in the lounge.
- In the garden there is a pool
- Towels for the pool are not supplied and guests are requested to supply their own
- Large communal Boma for braai’s. Wood and Charcoal is available from the filling station down the road
- The camp is serviced daily and the previous night’s dishes washed next morning.
- Towels are supplied for the bathroom but not for the pool.
- Bed linen supplied is crisp fine cotton percale for a comfortable good night’s sleep.
- WiFi is available between 10am and 5pm in the main lounge at Shikwari Suites
Should you not feel like cooking or are unable to?
Book a 3 course Dinner and/or English & Continental breakfast at our 4 star luxury lodge. Children under 10 years are not allowed in the main lodge for dinner. Please inquire about the delivered family meal 24 hours’ notice is needed for both the 3 course dinner in the dining room or the family meal at Pangolin or book with your accommodation. Booking is essential as we do not run a formal a la carte restaurant.
If you are booking this camp it is best to bring supplies for at least the first night as Hoedspruit is 35 kilometres away and there are no supermarkets or restaurants nearby, beside our dining room at Shikwari.
Shikwari Game Reserve Activities: Within the area:
• Kruger National Park
• The Blyde River Canyon
• Hippo Hike in the Blyde Canyon - enquire at reception
• Swadini Dam & 2hr Boat trip
• Panorama Route
• Three Rondavels, Bourke`s Luck Potholes
• God`s Window and various waterfalls
• Pilgrims Rest
• 24 Deg South - Spa, 2 restaurants, vintage car museum, and some interesting shops and gallery.
• Moholoholo Rehabilitation Centre for Animals
• Hoedspruit Endangered Species Center & Cheetah Research
• Nyoni Reptile Park
• Jessica Hippo - Hand Feeding Jessica - she was rescued as a baby but is free to come and go
• Mariepskop Drive
• Magoebaskloof Adventures - Quads, canopy tour, River rafting
Click to display the map
Clothing & Accessories:
We are in a very warm and temperate area. Most locals never use winter clothing and only use a jacket or cardigan for cooler days. We are not in a high risk malaria area.
We suggest you bring light weight clothing some in muted colours for game drives, and sandals for most of the year plus swimming costume and for Pangolin please bring your beach towel as they are not supplied for self catering.
A tracksuit, cardigan and/or light weight jacket and closed shoes would be useful in winter (mid May to end August) for the cooler evenings and game drives and walks.
No formal clothing is required unless stated.
Health & Climate:
We are in a low risk Malaria area but if you are intending to visit the Northern part of Kruger National Park and the Northern areas and further into Africa especially in the summer months we suggest you speak to your doctor for the right medication.
In winter one only needs use use Tabard Cream and spray from the early evening; just to be safe. The lodge is not in very wet area so mosquitoes are not so prevalent.
Summer: Days: 30 - 40deg C Nights: 15 - 20 deg C
Winter: Days: 22 - 28 deg C Nights:10 - 13 deg C
Shikwari Game Reserve Guest Review
Average Guest Rating:
out of 5
based on 1
On our arrival we were welcome by the owner Sue Lawrie, who showed us the whole camp. We were at the Pangolin bush camp with cool rooms, the staff is very helpfull, the outside open kitchen was great and fully equiped, the outside shower was a great experience. We went for game drive within the lodge though we have spoted a few wild animals a Waterbuck, Eland and Wildebees. At night we listen to the sound of the wild animals, especialy the Jackal will come visit at night. Shikwari lodge is a place to be hope to come back in future.
Rating: Reviewed by Irene Mazibuko over a year ago
Other Accommodation near Shikwari Game Reserve:
Accommodation options within 8km from Shikwari Game Reserve include:
Guest Rating: (9 reviews)
An enchanting overnight stop en route to the Kruger National Park and the Panoramic Blyde River Canyon on the R527 Lydenburg road.
per person sharing