Shikwari Game Reserve
, a Plains Game Reserve near Hoedspruit, North Eastern Limpopo.
The accommodation and reserve is personally run & managed by the Lawrie family. It is nestled below the majestic North Eastern Drakensburg Mountains in the Limpopo Lowveld. We are situated approximately 35kms from Hoedspruit and well situated for trips to Kruger Park and The Panorama and Blyde Canyon. Offering wonderful Eco wildlife holidays with an option of guided activities.
The reserve offers two camps with Shikwari Suites with 5 luxury suites and Pangolin Rondavels with 4 thatched traditional room. In the luxury suites with private bathroom dinner and breakfast is included the other in 4 comfortable rustic self catering rondavels 2 with private bush bathroom the other 2 share a full bathroom. All the ronvael share a kitchen, lounge with satellite Premium DSTV, Boma for braais and a pool.
. Surrounded by a reserve with plains game, Giraffe, Zebra, Wildebeest, Kudu, Waterbuck, Nyala, Bushbuck, Impala and Duiker, come explore this amazing bushveld area. Booking is necessary for this especially during the holiday season.
Full day guided trips to Kruger Park are available as well as Shikwari`s plains game drive or walk. It is a short drive to the famous Kruger National Park, where the big five may be seen. Blyde River Canyon is close by and one can book the boat trip on the dam in the canyon to see the falls, crocodile and hippo. There are also the various walks and hikes in the Swadini area. The Panorama is the higher area of the Blyde River Canyon and consequently colder in winter. Here one can visit Lisbon Falls, Berlin Falls, Three Rondavels, The View, God’s Window, Burkes Luck Potholes, Mac Mac Falls & Pools, Bridal Falls, Sabie Fall etc. Visit the towns of Graskop for curios and Pilgrims Rest where one can pan for gold and see a Robbers Grave and have drink in a pub that is an old church.
These are just a few activities that we offer, there is also a cultural village to visit, elephant experience, Jessica Hippo, Magoebaskloof Canopy Tour, Moholoholo Wildlife Rehab Centre and Hoedspruit Endangered Wildlife Centre & Cheetah Research.
Accommodation at Shikwari Game Reserve:
Shikwari Suites:4 star TGCSA graded.
The Shikwari lodge area has a tranquil plunge pool and shady veranda. While away the hours here with a book from the selection in the library or simply enjoy the sun around the pool. Spend the day sightseeing; Lunch at one of the many great restaurants in the area.
Five separately built suites accommodating 10 adult guests. Children from 10 yrs accepted. 10 - 12yrs room with parents 13yrs and older in own room or with one other adult. Includes a 3 course dinner and full English and Continental Breakfast.
Take a nature walk or game drive around our reserve with our resident FGASA Guide, to show you different aspects of the bush besides the main attractions.Taking in some of the lesser know flora and fauna and interesting facts. Wonderful and informative Big 5 trips can also be arranged to a nearby private reserve with dinner after the drive.
The Panorama Route is also a must see. At the end of the days touring, relax on our veranda to watch the sunset turn the mountains a rainbow of colour. Meet for a pre-dinner drink and chat at our convivial fully licensed Warthog Bar with other guests, before sitting down to a specially prepared delicious Country Cuisine 3 course dinner either plated or served buffet style on our veranda or in our well appointed candlelit dining room, our Chef might also do a South African Braai (barbecue) on warm nights, on the deck boma with individual tables set around a fire.This brings one really close to the sounds of the night and is an opportunity to see the wonderful night sky and hear the sounds of Africa.
Cuisine at Shikwari has a distinctive South African flavor along with a touch of French and Italian flair. Our evening no choice 3 course dinner offers favourite South African favorites such as Bobotie, Venison, Durban Curries, Karoo Lamb, Malva Pudding, Koeksüsters and Cape Brandy Tart are just some of the local treats. This along with Homemade Scones,Tarts & Pastries, Pasta and French classic’s such as Cheese soufflé’s, Chocolate Fondant, Coq au Vin Blanc are the order of the day.Choose from the well selected estate wines in our cellar to match your meal. In the morning you will be able to choose from the Continental buffet of Cereals, yoghurts, cold meats, cheeses.toast & muffins or scones and fresh fruit. After which we offer a plated English breakfast of bacon, eggs to order, tomato and mushrooms.
Retire when the day is done to your luxurious suite, secluded amongst the bush connected to the main area by pathways. Choice of King or Twin beds, Egyptian Cotton Sheets, Feather & Repuffable Pillow and light and airy down Duvets. Bathrobes & Slippers, Fluffy white towels and face clothes.
Each suite is individually decorated and well appointed with a hospitality tray with a supply of Homemade Cookies, freshly ground coffee, coffee plunger and quality teas. There also is a mini bar stocked on request to our guest’s requirements. Bathrobes and Slipper and Turndown at night.
The en-suite bathrooms have large oval baths, basin and toilet and all the suites have outdoor showers/ There is a range of specially chosen natural bath products for the guests enjoyment.
All suites are serviced daily.
Accommodation at Pangolin Rondavels:
Pangolin Rondavels - Self Catering
A camp with communal facilities.
This camp has not been Star Graded by the Tourism Council of South Africa, however, it has been graded very well by the tourists of South Africa, and abroad.
Pangolin Rondavels is a camp with 4 rondavels set around a pool in a garden with communal facilities. This camp is separate from the Shikwari Bush Lodge camp. It has a rustic charm and is ideal for the person who loves being close to the bush. For Families and a group of friends. Children are accepted from 2yrs old and up to 12yrs may be accommodated in parents room
There is shady parking for cars and guest are encouraged to take walks around the reserve with a guide or by themselves.
The four Rondavels that accommodate two adults. Each rondavel had a bed, bedside tables and lamps, wardrobe, seating, luggage rack and Fridge/Freezer.
- Guests have a choice of either king-size or twin beds.
- Children under 12yrs are accommodated with parents on fold out beds. Please advise on booking.
- The camp has a communal lounge with full premium DStv,
- One large family bathroom with bath, toilet & basin and outdoor shower.
- There is a fully equipped kitchen on an open patio with extra communal fridge/freezers, oven & hob, microwave, toaster & kettle also all serving dishes, crockery, glassware cutlery and place mats.
- In the garden there is a pool and boma for braai’s. Wood is available to buy.
- The camp is serviced daily and the previous night’s dishes washed next morning.
- Towels are supplied for the bathroom and linen supplied is crisp fine percale for a good night’s sleep.
- Towels for the pool are not supplied and guests are asked to supply their own.
Should you not feel like cooking?
- Book our delicious Country Chic Cuisine 3 course Dinners and/or our Full Hot English and Cold Buffet Continental breakfast up at the Shikwari suites.
- For cost please enquire.
- 24 hours’ notice is needed for this or book with your accommodation.
- Booking is essential as we do not run a formal restaurant and the meal is booked especially for our resident guests.
All rooms are serviced daily.
Please note: If you are booking this camp it is best to bring supplies with you at least for the first night; as Hoedspruit is 35 kilometers away and there are no supermarkets or restaurants nearby, beside the Shikwari dining room.
Activities - Lots to do:
Relax at the Lodge by the plunge pool,
or take a book from our library and read on the shady veranda, or take a walk or game drive with our FGASA Guide around our reserve. Our guide is also available to take you on a full day tour of the Kruger National Park includes brunch and drinks.
Or if you are feeling energetic there is plenty of exciting adventure activities and sightseeing in the area.
Go water rafting, on horse trails, quads, elephant rides, abseiling, hot air ballooning or on the most fantastic Big 5 Drive trip in an open game vehicle to a private reserve.You will be assured of the most amazing safari. Bookings can be done at the main lodge or on line with your accommodation.
Visit Moholoholo Rehabilitation Centre for Animals and the Hoedspruit Endangered Species Centre especially for Cheetah, Wild dog and Ground Hornbills. Visit the Nyongi Reptile Park where one can see all types of reptiles and listen to a very interesting talk.
We look forward to welcoming you, your family and friends.
The suites offer:
• Choice of King or Twin beds with the exception of the family suite which has a
Queen bed in the main room and bunk beds in a separate room.
• Egyptian Cotton Percale linen
• Air conditioning
• Ceiling fans
• Hospitality Trays with Fair Trade coffee which is locally roasted and ground,
a choice of quality teas and homemade cookies.
• Mini fridge – stocked on request (order will be place on account)
• Private Bathrooms - Large oval baths and Outdoor showers
• Bathrobes and slippers
• Fluffy white towels and face clothes.
• Locally sourced natural toiletries - Liquid Soap/Shampoo; Hand & Body lotion is supplied.
• Hairdryer on request (deposit will be placed on account)
• Small seating area on veranda.
• Turn down Service with Shikwari’s homemade nougat
• Feather & Re-puffable Pillows,
• Light, airy down Duvets or Synthetic for allergies
• Turndowns with Shikwari’s homemade Nougat
The Rondavels offer:
NB: This camp is totally separate from the luxury 4 star graded Shikwari Suites. Next year hoping for grading 3 stars; after we have added all the “Bush Bathrooms” Two are already done. Although not graded they are well received by all guest. Beds are all made up with Cotton Percale sheets, the decor is rusting and furniture is
antique wooden cottage design.
• There are 4 Rondavels accommodating two adults & 2 children in each.
• With bed, wardrobe, seating, luggage rack. Hospitality Tray and small Fridge/Freezer.
• Guests have a choice of either king-size or twin beds.
• Children under 12yrs and under are accommodated with parents on fold out beds.
• Please advise on booking. 2 children per rondavel max.
• The camp has a communal lounge with Premium Satellite DStv,
• A large communal family bathroom with bath, toilet & basin services 2 rondavels
• *2 rondavels has a “Bush Bathroom” with outdoor shower plus a toilet and basin.
• There is a fully equipped kitchen on an open patio with extra fridge/freezer, 2 ovens & Electric and Gas
hobs, microwave, toaster & kettle also all serving dishes, crockery,cutlery glassware cutlery & placemats.
For a Group one can also use the larger Fridge/Freezer in the lounge.
• In the garden there is a pool
• Towels for the pool are not supplied and guests are requested to supply their own
• Large communal Boma for braai’s. Wood & Charcoal is available from the filling station down the road
• The camp is serviced daily and the previous night’s dishes washed next morning.
• Towels are supplied for the bathroom but not for the pool.
• Bed linen supplied is crisp fine cotton percale for a comfortable good night’s sleep.
• WiFi is available between 10am and 5pm at the main lounge at Shikwari Suites
Should you not feel like cooking or are unable to?
Book a 3 course Dinner and/or English & Continental breakfast at our 4 star luxury lodge.
• Children under 10 years are not allowed in the main lodge for dinner Please inquire about the delivered
family meal.24 hours’ notice is needed for both the 3 course dinner in the dining room or the family meal
at Pangolin or book with your accommodation.
• Booking is essential as we do not run a formal al a carte restaurant.
Please note: If you are booking this camp it is best to bring supplies for at least the first night as Hoedspruit is 35 kilometres away and there are no supermarkets or restaurants nearby, beside the Shikwari dining room.
Shikwari Game Reserve Activities: Within the area:
• Kruger National Park
• The Blyde River Canyon
• Hippo Hike in the Blyde Canyon - enquire at reception
• Swadini Dam & 2hr Boat trip
• Panorama Route
• Three Rondavels, Bourke`s Luck Potholes
• God`s Window and various waterfalls
• Pilgrims Rest
• 24 Deg South - Spa, 2 restaurants, vintage car museum, and some interesting shops and gallery.
• Moholoholo Rehabilitation Centre for Animals
• Hoedspruit Endangered Species Center & Cheetah Research
• Nyoni Reptile Park
• Jessica Hippo - Hand Feeding Jessica - she was rescued as a baby but is free to come and go
• Mariepskop Drive
• Magoebaskloof Adventures - Quads, canopy tour, River rafting
Shikwari Game Reserve Map:
Clothing & Accessories:
We are in a very warm and temperate area. Most locals never use winter clothing and only use a jacket or cardigan for cooler days. We are not in a high risk malaria area.
We suggest you bring light weight clothing some in muted colours for game drives, and sandals for most of the year plus swimming costume and for Pangolin please bring your beach towel as they are not supplied for self catering.
A tracksuit, cardigan and/or light weight jacket and closed shoes would be useful in winter (mid May to end August) for the cooler evenings and game drives and walks.
No formal clothing is required unless stated.
Health & Climate:
We are in a low risk Malaria area but if you are intending to visit the Northern part of Kruger National Park and the Northern areas and further into Africa especially in the summer months we suggest you speak to your doctor for the right medication.
In winter one only needs use use Tabard Cream and spray from the early evening; just to be safe. The lodge is not in very wet area so mosquitoes are not so prevalent.
Summer: Days - 30 -40deg C Nights - 15-20deg C
Winter: Days - 22 -28deg C Nights - 10-13deg C
On our arrival we were welcome by the owner Sue Lawrie, who showed us the whole camp. We were at the Pangolin bush camp with cool rooms, the staff is very helpfull, the outside open kitchen was great and fully equiped, the outside shower was a great experience. We went for game drive within the lodge though we have spoted a few wild animals a Waterbuck, Eland and Wildebees. At night we listen to the sound of the wild animals, especialy the Jackal will come visit at night. Shikwari lodge is a place to be hope to come back in future.