Perfect for your Cape Winelands Getaway, Rijks Country House
offers luxury family friendly Tulbagh accommodation.
The rooms are individually decorated and each has a private terrace leading onto rose gardens, lawns, dam and pool. With beautiful churches, stunning photographic opportunities and special attention to every detail, Rijk`s is the perfect winelands wedding venue and destination.
Separate conference facilities are available with space for a company product launch and team building event. Our proudest achievement is that guests return year after year!
Whether dining inside the restaurant or on the Iceberg Terrace you will enjoy a selection of freshly prepared dishes made from local produce. Our philosophy with food is "keep it simple, fresh and generous"
. We cater for a range of dietary requirements and have a dedicated children`s menu.
Wine tasting is available daily at Rijks Country House and is a popular pre-dinner activity led by manager Louis. These are fun, educational and interactive sessions, creating a great sense of camaraderie between guests.
Incredible scenery, picturesque grounds and experienced, friendly staff make Rijks the perfect destination for your Winelands wedding.
The conference room is air-conditioned with plenty of natural light and double doors that open onto a private terrace overlooking vineyards. Delegates can breakaway to indoor or outdoor locations around the hotel for smaller meetings and coffee breaks. Perfect for Team Building events such as Treasure Hunts, Amazing Races, Picnics and Sports. We will happily organise all activities for your company. With indoor and outdoor facilities we have the perfect venue for product and service launches.
We offer a range of treatments including: massages and body treatments, facial treatments, manicures, pedicures and waxing. We also have an array of overall health treatments specifically designed to enhance your healthy lifestyle such as an infrared sauna and Power Plate. We offer a health menu as we believe in a high protein, low carbohydrate lifestyle. We strive for freshness and seasonal food from local providers. We cater for meat and vegetarian lifestyle.
Art at Rijks:
Browse or buy beautiful artwork, which is on display in our art gallery, from local and renowned artists from across South Africa. The art gallery is open seven days a week, throughout the year, for visitors to admire. We can also cater for private functions in the art gallery.
Accommodation at Rijks Country House:
We offer 15 elegant and spacious rooms including 10 luxury rooms, 2 superior rooms and 3 family cottages, the ideal accommodation in the heart of the Cape Winelands.
Each room is individually decorated in luxurious country-house style with modern touches. Chandeliers hang from open thatch and wooden beams, contemporary artwork hangs on the walls and beds are dressed in 100% cotton-rich sheets.
Facilities in all the rooms:
- Private outdoor terrace with table and chairs
- Lots of natural light
- Flat screen television and DSTV
- Complimentary Wireless Internet
- Tea and coffee making facilities
- Fully stocked mini bar
- Sitting area
- Dressing table and/or work desk
- Individually controlled air conditioning and ceiling fans
- International plug adaptors
- Electronic safe
- Direct dial telephone
- Shaver plugs
- Large bath and shower with two basins and separate toilet
- Plenty of bath and swimming towels
- 100% cotton sheets
- Rooms are all non-smoking with ashtrays provided for outside use
- Direct access to lawns and pool
- Room service
Facilities & Services:
- Children under 12 years
- Honeymoon Couples
- Babysitting Service
- Laundry Service
- Ironing Service
- Limited Room Service
- Conference facilities
- Wine Tasting
- Wedding facilities
- Dining room
- Bar on the Premises
- Curio Shop
- Internet Access
- Tourism Information Desk
- Fax & Photocopy Machine
- Parking (open and off-street)
- Fireplace on the Premises
- Games Room
- Swimming Pool
- Communal Satellite TV
Rijks Country House Activities: Activities in the Tulbagh Valley:
- Historic Church Street - Boasts 32 National Monuments, the most monuments in one street within South Africa, has been restored to its former glory after the 1969 earthquake. There are also beautiful gardens to enjoy.
- Museums - Wonder through the Earthquake Museum and see what damage was done to Tulbagh during the devastating earthquake in 1969 and how the town has recovered.
- Wine Estates - Tulbagh has a wonderful array of award winning wineries to choose from. You can remain on the estate and enjoy Rijks Private Cellar wines or venture off to other wineries which include Saronsberg, Twee Jonge Gezellen, Lemberg, Montpellier, Waverley Hills, Tulbagh Winery and Drosty Hof.
- Olives - Enrich you palate with an olive and olive oil tasting at Oakhurst Olives.
- Horse Riding - Horse About provides wonderful rides out in the valley.
- Ceres Zipslide - This is a great adrenalin activity. Fly through the air on a zipslide. This is a great activity for the whole family and groups.
- Mountain Biking - Tulbagh boast some wonderful mountain biking routes. Permits can be obtained from the tourism office in town. Mountain bikes can be hired daily.
- Waterfall - Take a short hike and enjoy a swim in the rock pools of the waterfall. Sunscreen is recommended.
- Bird Watching - There is an array of avian bird life in the valley.
- Photographic Tours - This is great way to see Tulbagh from a different view.
- Hiking - Tulbagh offers numerous hiking trails. One of the favourites is the Murludi Trails.
- Golf - Ceres Golf Course is a mere 20 minutes away. Other golf courses within a 45 minute drive of Tulbagh include Worcester, Wellington and Malmesbury.
- Saronsberg Theatre - This theatre located in Van Der Stel Street and showcases local talent from around South Africa.
- Art Route - Tulbagh is blessed to have a rich art community living in it.
- Country Shopping - The Tulbagh Valley has numerous shops offering the best that country life has to offer such as honey, artisanal cheeses, etc.
- Market - On the first Saturday of the month there is a market held in Tulbagh and on the second Saturday of the month there is a market held in Wolsley. This is a great place to meet the locals and try the local flavours and purchase crafts.
- Day Trips - Tulbagh is a wonderful base to explore the Boland Wine Area, West Coast, Stellenbosch, Paarl and Franschoek.
Rijks Country House Map:
Other Accommodation near Rijks Country House:
Accommodation options within 8km from Rijks Country House include:
Eikelaan self catering Farm Cottages are situated on a working farm, 5 km from the Historic town, Tulbagh. The farm is nestled in the foothills of the Witzenberg Mountains and is a 90 minute drive from Cape Town.
B&B and Self catering in the heart of the fruit and wine area of Tulbagh. Country House elegance awaits. 5 units available, booked individually. Offering inside Manor house en-suite rooms, or private free-standing cottages, we can cater for all needs.
per person sharing
A winelands retreat! Self Catering Cottages overlooking the dam across to the Saronsberg Mountain. Bass Fishing, boating, DTSV, Air conditioning. Pet Friendly.
Guest Rating: (3 reviews)
A collection of ten historic properties, nestled between the restaurants, museums, sights and shops of Church Street. The Cape Dutch Quarters is the jewel in the crown of our heritage collection, where guests experience the authenticity of 18th century.
Just over an hours drive from Cape Town, Welbedacht Game & Nature Reserve offers a stunning retreat in the countryside. Situated just below the magnificent Winterhoek Mountains, we offer tranquility, wild life, nature walks, flora, bird life and more!