Old Thatch Lodge
is a "National Monument" built in Cape Victorian style and was the townhouse from Mr Reitz, the governor in the early 1900`s.
The family Reitz lived actuality on a farm but came to town on special days and church days where they stayed what now is called Old Thatch Lodge.
Enjoy the privacy in two of the double rooms, the luxury of a big family suite, with separate entrance from the garden or the special honeymoon suite, also with separate entrance direct to the garden.
The lovely atmosphere from the lounge invites you for a cosy evening on the open fire place. Feel free to use the B&B kitchen or have a nice braai in our wonderful garden.
In the morning we celebrate your holiday with a champagne breakfast.
Your car can be securely parked on the property. I would like to welcome you and it`s my greatest pleasure to help you with tips for your wonderful stay in South Africa.
Accommodation at Old Thatch Lodge: My Nectarine Suite
- A big family suite for 4 people, with a lounge with television (SABC 1,2,3 and e-tv), the sleeping area have a big double bed and over a few steps you come up to a open galerie where you find 2 single beds. The suite have a separate entrance from the garden with a small terasse in front, an en suite bathroom with shower and bath facilities.
My Apricot Suite:
- A cosy honey moon suite with a double bed and television (SABC 1,2,3 and e-tv), a separate entrance from the garden and en suite bathroom with a shower.
The Orange room:
- A double room with a large double bed (two mattresses) and en suite bathroom with shower in the main house.
The Mango room:
- A double room in the main house with 2 single beds and en suite bathroom with bath and shower facilities.
The Lemon room:
- A small double room with a double bed also in the main house with en suite bathroom with shower facilities.
Facilities & Services:
- Children under 12 years
- Honeymoon Couples
- Pets only by Arrangement
- Airport Shuttle Service
- Self-Braai / Barbecue
- Cots available
- Internet Access
- Fireplace on the Premises
- Parking (off-street - open)
- Other Language
- Hiking / Walking Trails
- Communal Television
Old Thatch Lodge Activities:
- Swellendam is third oldest town in South Africa and offer a beautiful museum, calls the DROSTY.
- The museum is situated in different houses, they also stay between normal townhouses.
- You get a plan and can walk from house to house and find out the interesting history.
- You can explore the MARLOTH Nature reserve on the back of a horse, on a mountain bike, or you make a hiking trail to 3 beautiful waterfalls in the mountain.
- The BONTEBOK Park direct situated on the Breede River offers you his nature with his unique bonteboks.
- The 9 hole Golf course is beautiful situated on the feet of the Langeberge.
- Swellendams very special "Young berry" farmers invite you for tasting their famous young berry liqueur.
- And SULINA brings a smile on your face with her fascinating ferry garden.
- From Swellendam you can start wonderful day trips. A trip to the DE HOOP Nature reserve is every time a high light.
- Or go for a swim in the Indian Ocean to Arniston and have a look for the southern tip of Africa.
- The wine region around Swellendam and Robertson is beautiful. The wine farms offer their excellent products and much more.
- A trip to Montagu along the Langeberg mountains ends with a jump in the hot springs.
- Around Swellendam is a lot to explore, take your time and make your holiday to a little adventure trip.
Click to display the map
Old Thatch Lodge Guest Review
Average Guest Rating:
out of 5
based on 1
A lovely old house, with atmosphere. A romantic garden. We are sorry we only booked one night. Absolutely recommendable to at least spend two nights. Great breakfast.
Rating: Reviewed by Gerd Nies over a year ago
Other Accommodation near Old Thatch Lodge:
Accommodation options within 8km from Old Thatch Lodge include:
Guest Rating: (4 reviews)
This restored Victorian house is about 180 years old. All rooms leading into the garden have bathrooms en suite, bar fridge and TV Mnet, private entrance, coffee and tea facilities. Swimming pool.
per person sharing
Three cottages each consisting of 2 queen/twin & 1 single bedroom. Fully equipped open-plan kitchen/lounge with separate wash area. The cottages are individually and elegantly furnished and quality linen & towels are provided.
Marula Lodge is a modern-african styled Guesthouse with a friendly atmosphere, situated in the picturesque town of Swellendam. The Guesthouse is within walking distance of various fine restaurants offering a wide variety of cuisine.
We are located in arguably the best part of town, with magnificent views up into the Langeberg Mountains, but within easy walking distance of museums and other places of interest, and restaurants.
per person sharing
Nestled at the foot of the picturesque Langeberg Mountains, you'll find Swellendam. The Mint Group offers you comfortable guest rooms and self-catering cottages to accommodate you in true cape overberg style.