Ntshondwe Lodge is an exclusive luxury lodge allowing complete privacy in spectacular surroundings overlooking the broad sweep of Ithala Game Reserve to the distant hills of Swaziland.
The lodge is situated in close proximity to Ntshondwe Camp, which boasts a fully licensed restaurant and bar, a fully equipped conference centre and an imaginatively stocked curio shop and convenience store.
The lodge is very beautiful, situated below the cliffs overlooking Ntshondwe valley.
Enjoy late afternoon sundowners in safari style on the atmospheric sun deck, surrounded by wildlife and bushveld scenery to add to a memorable experience of Africa.
The viewing deck has a small plunge pool to cool down in on hot summer days and a barbecue area overlooking the valley below.
The 3 Bedrooms (en-suite) lodge, one room with a double bed includes
The lodge is wheelchair accessible and visitors get a cook on request
- Ntshondwe resort nestles on the slopes of the Ngotshe plateau and commands spectacular views of the reserve. Accommodation consists of 39 two to six-bed chalets and a luxury lodge with its own swimming pool.
- Self catering Chalets are fully-equipped, self-contained and serviced, having one or more bedrooms, lounge/dining-room, bathroom, toilet and kitchenette equipped with cutlery, crockery, stove and fridge.
- Linen is provided. You are required to do your own cooking.
- 28 Conference Chalets can accommodate 56 guests in twin bedded rooms with bathroom, DSTV, small fridge and tea/coffee making facilities.
- The lodge, which has similar facilities, is a six-bed, en suit three-bedroomed unit and is luxuriously appointed.
- The lodge is built in a saddle between two high points and looks out over the reserve.
- Please provide your own food and beverages.
- However, the nearby reception complex offers a licensed restaurant with a take-away facility and bar as well as a small shop at which basic provisions, curios, books, charcoal and photographic film may be purchased.
- The restaurant complex is situated beside a waterhole at which a variety of animals come to drink.
- There is a wonderful swimming pool, which is set amongst a group of very large boulders in the grounds of the camp, available to residents.
- A modern, well equipped conference centre provides an excitingly different venue for meetings and symposia.
- This facility is set in pleasant surroundings adjacent to the main camp, to ensure a disturbance-free conference.
- It caters for 90 delegates in the main venue and has two additional break-away rooms which can accommodate 18 delegates each.
- An atmosphere has been created which is conducive to a successful conference while making available the tremendous range of facilities which Ithala has to offer.
Itala Game Reserve offers a wealth of activities for visitors:
A number of self-guided trails traverse the wooded mountainside above Ntshondwe camp, inviting guests to enjoy glimpses of the indigenous wildlife while stretching their legs. The sight of black rhino and elephant droppings along a path adds a rush of adrenaline to the experience.
Rhino occasionally enter the camp at night,therefore visitors are advised to exercise caution when walking around the camp at night.
Day and night drives are conducted in open viewing vehicles and are a popular tourist attraction in the reserve.
Ithala has a number of well laid out auto trails with markers at points of interest. These enable visitors to discover and appreciate aspects of the reserves fascinating wildlife and geology in the comfort of their own vehicles.
Picnic sites are situated in several scenic spots which offer spectacular views and are ideal for game watching. These all have barbecue facilities and toilets.
Visitors may hire a field ranger for half a day or a full day and go walking in various parts of the reserve to view wildlife, rock formations or just to swim in one of the crystal clear river pools.
All bookings are confirmed once payment or partial payment is received.
Cancellations greater than 45 days prior to arrival = 10% of amount (min R100)
Cancellation within 45 to 30 days of arrival = 25% of the amount.Cancellation within 29 to 15 days of arrival = 50% of the amount.
Cancellation within 14 days & arrival date = 100% of the amount.
Amending booked dates is as good as cancelling a booking if it falls within the cancellation period. Same policy applies to amending a booking.
FROM DURBAN: It is best reached via Eshowe and Melmoth to Vryheid. Then take the tarred road to Louwsburg approx. 4 1/5 hrs
FROM GAUTENG: The best approach is via Standerton, Volksrust and Utrecht to Vryheid approx. 5 hrs
FROM THE NORTH COAST: Take the main road to Pongola. Turn left to Ulundi/Nongoma (R66) and then right onto the (R69) Louwsburg/Vryheid road approx. 3 1/5 hrs
FROM PIETERMARITZBURG: Travel via Colenso, Ladysmith, Dundee and Vryheid approx. 4 hrs