Explore where the Indian Ocean and the Breede River meet. Experience the uniqueness of being surrounded by river, mountains and fynbos.
This is the Mudlark River Front Lodge, place of beauty peace and comfort. Experience a soul rejuvanting getaway in the serenity and seclusion of the Mudlark Lodge, only 3 hours from Cape Town.
The lodge is situated on a 22 hectare property, part of the Lower Breede River Conservancy and nestles on the river bank about 2 kilometers from the tiny villages of Witsand and Infanta both situated on the opposite bank of the river mouth.
This situation is unique in that no other habitation can be seen and the lodge has magnificent views up and down the estuary. The lodge faces north and is protected from the prevailing sea breezes. The lodge is surrounded by fynbos on three sides and the river in front.
The Mudlark River Front Lodge offers exclusivity to residing guests, with individually decorated private rooms. Our menu is renowned for its excellence using products sourced fresh from the sea, river and surrounding farms.
Mudlark consists of a central timber lodge containing the entertainment and dining areas. The bedrooms are situated on both sides of the lodge and the communal dining area overlooks the river so it is breakfast with a view.
There is a large comfortable lounge with a fireplace for those chilly winter evenings and DSTV is provided.
There is also a relaxing lounge with river views and its friendly fisherman's bar leads out on to a large covered timber leisure deck with exceptional views. With accomodation for a maximum of ten guests this is really getting away from the crowds
All our double rooms are also off timber construction have beautiful panoramic views of the estuary and the surrounding fynbos. Our five en suite bedrooms are thoughtfully decorated; some with private balconies. All have en suite bathrooms heaters and fans and separate entrances
We have two twin bedded, two double and one family room.
Some of the main attractions in the Breede River Estuary are:-
- one of the best whale watching areas in the South Africa. Whales swim close to the cliffs at Cape Infanta and seem to be within touching distance (130 whales during the 2005 census)
- the Breede River is a fishing hot-spot with Kob of up to 50kg, Spotted Grunter, and Garrick up to 12kg regularly caught.
- De Hoop Marine Reserve is our neighbour.
- 196 bird species can be found around the lodge, river bank, and coast.
- This area is also part of the Cape Floral Kingdom with hundreds of varieties of fynbos and renosterveld.
- various stunning walks and activities on the Breede River i.e horse riding, skiing, diving, surfing and sunset cruises.
From Cape Town take the N2 and turn right just before or after Swellendam at the Malgas-Infanta turn off.
Travel to Malgas and then proceed to Infanta.
After 64km (from leaving the N2) you will see a left hand turn ahead. This is directly opposite a stone farmhouse.
Turn left and carry on towards the river and you will see our sign on the left.