, a popular recreational destination, is situated off the N3, 24 km from Pietermaritzburg and 7 km from Howick. The reserve is 2 857 ha in extent. It would classify as the perfect destination for a midweek or weekend holiday.
This tranquil setting provides opportunities for a wide variety of sporting activities, including watersports, cycling, walking, game viewing, angling or just lying back at one of the many picnic sites. See details of activities that can be enjoyed within the Midmar Dam Nature Reserve
.General info for Midmar Dam:
- All essential supplies are available from Howick.
- Fuel is available 2 km from the main gate.
- No pets of any kind are permitted in the reserve.
- Certain sections of the reserve may be closed to the public and certain activities prohibited at any given time, should this be deemed necessary. Please do not deviate from the roads in the game reserve.
- Firearms and any other weapons must be declared on entry into the reserve.
- The reserve gates are closed to day visitors between sunset and sunrise. This does not apply to visitors occupying chalets, rustic cabins or campsites, who have 24-hour access.Holiday accommodation at Midmar Dam:
Thirty-two fully-equipped, (including a six-bedded chalet especially equipped for the handicapped) provide comfortable and attractive accommodation overlooking the dam.
All chalets have DSTV.
In addition there are 16 four bedded rustic cabins equipped with refrigerators
There are three separate campgrounds, of which two have water frontage.
Two of the campgrounds have limited electrical plug point facilities.
All sites are served by communal ablution blocks, with hot and cold running water.High Season:
High season dates and rates are applicable from:
7 December 2016 to 17 January 2017
17 March 2017 to 01 May 2017
15 June 2017 to 16 July 2017
22 September 2017 to 08 October 2017
High season rates are also applicable over any events.
High Season dates applicable for 2018:
6 December 2017 to 16 January 2018
20 March 2018 to 01 May 2018
15 June 2018 to 16 July 2018
09 August 2018 to 12 August 2018
21 September 2018 to 08 October 2018Please can all guests booking, or wanting to book at Midmar take note that Thurlow Reserve is closed until further notice due to various reasons. Once these issues are resolved, the resort will be reopened again. Your assistance in this is appreciated.Visitor Facilities And Activities:
- Excellent fishing is available. Carp, bass, scalies and bluegill are abundant and fishing can be pursued in the areas zoned for this activity.
- The game park has a variety of species; red hartebeest, black wildebeest, blesbok, reedbuck, oribi and zebra and can be viewed from vehicles, bicycles or on foot.
- Entrance is via the Thurlow Gate off the R617.
- A small swimming pool is available exclusively for chalet and rustic cabin residents.
- Midmar hosts a number of sports events and during weekends and peak periods.
- Boat spares and fishing equipment can be purchased from this shop.
- The dam is zoned for yachts, powerboats and personal water craft and in the interests of safety, visitors must abide by this zoning.
- New visitors to the resort should acquire a map and boating regulations and any other information from the office, on arrival.
- Power boat skippers must carry their licences before launching on the water.
- Please note that as of 8 August 2008, all powered craft skippers must be in possession of a Category R certificate of competence.
- Boat tours can be booked by prior arrangement, please enquire at the reception office.
- Swimming is permitted in the bilharzia-free dam and is quite safe, provided bathers keep close in-shore, away from boating areas.
- Several attractive shady picnic sites are available along the 15 km of developed shoreline for the day visitor.
- Adequate refuse and ablution facilities are available
Excellent fishing is available. Carp, bass, scalies and bluegill are abundant and fishing can be pursued in the areas zoned for this activity.
The game park has a variety of species; red hartebeest, black wildebeest, blesbok, reedbuck, oribi and zebra and can be viewed from vehicles, bicycles or on foot.
Entrance is via the Thurlow Gate off the R617.
There are two all-weather tennis courts. A small swimming pool is available exclusively for rustic cabin and chalet residents.
Bathing is permitted in the bilharzia-free dam and is quite safe, provided bathers keep close in-shore, away from boating areas.
A boat shop where windsurfers, canoes and yachts can be hired, is open during weekends and peak periods.
Boat spares and fishing equipment can be purchased from the shop. The shop can be contacted on telephone 033 330 5073 or 033 394 4482.
The dam is zoned for yachts, powerboats and personal water craft and in the interests of safety, visitors must abide by this zoning.
New visitors to the resort should acquire a map and boating regulations and any other information from the office, on arrival. Power boat skippers must carry their tickets when on the water.
Please note that as of 8 August 2008, all powered craft skippers must be in possession of a Category R certificate of competence.Shop at Midmar Dam
The shop sells curios cool drinks and sweets. The nearest town which has a full range of services is Howick which is 7km away.
Gate Opening and Closing Times:
The gate is open 24 hours a day to residents. Please note
a key deposit is payable on arrival.
Comfortable, but needs an upgrade urgently.
My 2 days stay at midmar dam were very enjoyable,their staff at the office were very nice in such a way that they advise me to take a Charley rather than a cabin.I had to add money for changing a cabin to chsrlet but it was the best decision.I even forgot my cell phone when I left the Charley but they have kept it safe until I will go and collect it.That you so much to all the staff of midmar dam.I'm planning to visit midmar resort again cos I had a nice stay with my son.
Chalet No. 1 was perfect for our young family of 6. The views we spectacular and facilities were sufficient. It would have been nice to have a clean swimming pool for the kids, but we made the best of the surrounding areas.
Thank you for comfortable overnight accommodation.