Midmar Resort is situated on the shores of the Midmar Dam within the Midmar Nature Reserve close to the town of Howick in KwaZulu-Natal. It is about a one and half hour drive from Durban and five hours from Johannesburg via the N3.
Midmar Resort is situated within easy reach of most other KwaZulu-Natal Midlands attractions, such as the well-known and popular Midlands Meander.
The game park is stocked with a variety of game species such as red hartebeest, black wildebeest, zebra, blesbok, reedbuck and oribi.
Midmar is the premier destination in KwaZulu-Natal for a wide range of water sports, camping and related activities. The Midmar Nature Reserve conserves large tracts of rolling grasslands that support herds of various antelope and many bird species.
Midmar enjoys a tranquil and peaceful setting ideal for a relaxing getaway from the bustle of the bigger cities. Midmar Resorts wide lawns and scenic setting provides an ideal venue for weddings and similar events.
Midmar Dam, a popular recreational destination, is situated off the N3, 24 km from Pietermaritzburg and 7 km from Howick. The reserve is 2 857 ha in extent. It would classify as the perfect destination for a midweek or weekend holiday.
This tranquil setting provides opportunities for a wide variety of sporting activities, including watersports, cycling, walking, game viewing, angling or just lying back at one of the many picnic sites. See details of activities that can be enjoyed within the Midmar Dam Nature Reserve.
General info for Midmar Dam:
- All essential supplies are available from Howick.
- Fuel is available 2 km from the main gate.
- No pets of any kind are permitted in the reserve.
- Certain sections of the reserve may be closed to the public and certain activities prohibited at any given time, should this be deemed necessary. Please do not deviate from the roads in the game reserve.
- Firearms and any other weapons must be declared on entry into the reserve.
- The reserve gates are closed to day visitors between sunset and sunrise. This does not apply to visitors occupying chalets, rustic cabins or campsites, who have 24-hour access.
PLEASE NOTE: Under the current lockdown regulation, no fishing, swimming or boating is allowed.
Accommodation at Midmar Dam:
Thirty-two fully-equipped, (including a six-bedded chalet especially equipped for the handicapped) provide comfortable and attractive accommodation overlooking the dam.
All chalets have DSTV.
In addition there are 16 four bedded rustic cabins equipped with refrigerators
There are three separate campgrounds, of which two have water frontage.
Two of the campgrounds have limited electrical plug point facilities.
All sites are served by communal ablution blocks, with hot and cold running water.
Please can all guests booking, or wanting to book at Midmar take note that Thurlow Reserve is closed until further notice due to various reasons. Once these issues are resolved, the resort will be reopened again. Your assistance in this is appreciated.
Visitor Facilities And Activities:
- Excellent fishing is available. Carp, bass, scalies and bluegill are abundant and fishing can be pursued in the areas zoned for this activity.
- The game park has a variety of species; red hartebeest, black wildebeest, blesbok, reedbuck, oribi and zebra and can be viewed from vehicles, bicycles or on foot.
- Entrance is via the Thurlow Gate off the R617.
- A small swimming pool is available exclusively for chalet and rustic cabin residents.
- Midmar hosts a number of sports events and during weekends and peak periods.
- Boat spares and fishing equipment can be purchased from this shop.
- The dam is zoned for yachts, powerboats and personal water craft and in the interests of safety, visitors must abide by this zoning.
- New visitors to the resort should acquire a map and boating regulations and any other information from the office, on arrival.
- Power boat skippers must carry their licences before launching on the water.
- Please note that as of 8 August 2008, all powered craft skippers must be in possession of a Category R certificate of competence.
- Boat tours can be booked by prior arrangement, please enquire at the reception office.
- Swimming is permitted in the bilharzia-free dam and is quite safe, provided bathers keep close in-shore, away from boating areas.
- Several attractive shady picnic sites are available along the 15 km of developed shoreline for the day visitor.
- Adequate refuse and ablution facilities are available
Excellent fishing is available. Carp, bass, scalies and bluegill are abundant and fishing can be pursued in the areas zoned for this activity.
The game park has a variety of species; red hartebeest, black wildebeest, blesbok, reedbuck, oribi and zebra and can be viewed from vehicles, bicycles or on foot.
Entrance is via the Thurlow Gate off the R617.
There are two all-weather tennis courts. A small swimming pool is available exclusively for rustic cabin and chalet residents.
Bathing is permitted in the bilharzia-free dam and is quite safe, provided bathers keep close in-shore, away from boating areas.
A boat shop where windsurfers, canoes and yachts can be hired, is open during weekends and peak periods.
Boat spares and fishing equipment can be purchased from the shop.
The dam is zoned for yachts, powerboats and personal water craft and in the interests of safety, visitors must abide by this zoning.
New visitors to the resort should acquire a map and boating regulations and any other information from the office, on arrival. Power boat skippers must carry their tickets when on the water.
Please note that as of 8 August 2008, all powered craft skippers must be in possession of a Category R certificate of competence.
Shop at Midmar Dam
The shop sells curios cool drinks and sweets. The nearest town which has a full range of services is Howick which is 7km away.
Midmar Dam Gate Opening and Closing Times:
The gate is open 24 hours a day to residents.
Please note a key deposit is payable on arrival.
Midmar is situated just off the N3 and can be approached via the Howick North/ Tweedie off-ramp or the Howick off-ramp.