Welcome to Lekkerwijn. We welcome families, couples, single travellers and parties who wish exclusive use of the Homestead. We are also a wedding, functions and conference venue.
Drive through the splendour of the Groot Drakenstein, through its orchards, vineyards and tranquil parklands, to a house that embodies the rich heritage of the Franschhoek and Groot Drakenstein Valleys.
Built in 1700s with its distinctive Cape-Dutch gables that were enhanced by sympathetic Hubert Baker renovations in 1907, Lekkerwijn invites its guests to stroll through the peacock-adorned gardens, relax by the swimming pool and be charmed in its classically furnished rooms.
This historic family home offers an enchanting combination of bed and breakfast (single, double and twin) accommodation in the Main House or self-catering in the Coach House to suit all situations, occasions and budgets.
75 km from the centre of Cape Town lies the lush, dramatic valleys of Franschhoek and the Groot Drakenstein are internationally renowned for their wines and food production. Undoubtedly the wine and cuisine capital of southern Africa, Franschoek offers the visitor an unparalleled sensorial experience amid endless vineyards and gracious Cape Dutch farmsteads.
Rich in heritage and instrumental in South Africa’s recent past, Franschoek and Groot Drakenstein is an essential trip for any visitor to the Western Cape.
The entertainment hub of the house, the Dining Hall’s highly polished antiques and impressive hearth are beautifully enhanced by fresh flowers picked from the extensive gardens. Dinner can be provided by prior arrangemen
A choice of Drawing Rooms
On both sides of the dining hall lie the two drawing rooms. One is a comfortable, restful retreat, while the other serves as a more formal and graceful receiving room.
The Coach House
This delightful self-catering cottage is part of the farm’s outbuildings. While offering a relaxed, more self-determined environment the Coach House retains the simple elegance that embodies the Main House.
The Coach House’s double bed and day bed, sleeps up to 3 persons and has a fully stocked kitchenette and dining area. The Coach house cottage also has a TV and relaxing sitting room area
Lekkerwijn Historic Country Guest House Activities:
- Arts and crafts - Numerous artist-owned art and craft studios and galleries are spread throughout the valley offering a variety of items for sale, ranging from the work of South Africa’s most celebrated contemporary artists to locally-made hand-woven carpets.
- Bird watching - The Valley is an ornithologists dream with mountain and riverine avian habitats.
- Delicatessens - One of the delights of being in the Capital of Wine and Cuisine is having direct access to delicious, locally-made, speciality cheeses, chocolates, charcuterie, olives, bread and other delectable goodies.
- Extreme sports - hang-gliding, paragliding, mountain biking, kayaking down the Berg River
- Festivals - The South African Cheese Festival
When: end of April/early May
- Fly Fishing - With the Berg River and many dams stocked with Rainbow Trout, Franschhoek is a memorable fly fishing venue that houses the 1st Bells Fly Fishing Academy.
- Hiking and walks - iExplore the Mont Rochelle Nature Reserve and Cats Pad Hiking Trails for breathtaking trails up in the Franschhoek Pass with views across the valley.
- Horse riding - Several equestrian establishments, with both hacks and Arabs alike, offer scenic rides across the hills and valleys of Franschhoek, as well as, wine tasting from horseback.
- Huguenot Monument and Museum - At the end of the picturesque Main Road, the monument was erected in 1938 to commemorate 250 years of Huguenots settlement in the Valley. Inside the adjacent building is the Huguenot Museum that illustrates the history of the Huguenots before and after their arrival at the Cape of Good Hope.
Click to display the map
Lekkerwijn Historic Country Guest House Guest Review
Average Guest Rating:
out of 5
based on 1
Extremely charming old country house with traditional charming furniture. Almost a museum but of course with all necessary accommodation. The landlord was extremely helpful, worthwhile to come back.
Rating: Reviewed by frank mertens over a year ago
Other Accommodation near Lekkerwijn Historic Country Guest House:
Accommodation options within 8km from Lekkerwijn Historic Country Guest House include:
Zorgvliet Wine Country Lodge nestled in the Banhoek Valley overlooking majestic mountains and rolling vineyards.Zorgvliet's swimming pool area, wine tasting, restaurant and picnic area provide the perfect spot to unwind during your stay all walking distan
Surrounded by vineyards and mountain view - friendly country hospitality. Swimming pool, short walking trail and bird watching. Sorry, no children under 12.
Vrede en Lust South African Wine Estate and Wedding Venue at the foothills of South Africa's most celebrated wine region, Franschhoek in the Western Cape.
per person sharing
Angala is where homely luxury blends with the pristine beauty of nature. Located in the heart of the Cape Winelands between magnificent mountains, Angala is a retreat for body, mind and spirit.
Situated on the historic Bloemendal farm, established by grant in 1692 by Governor Simon van der Stel and surrounded by lush vineyards with the imposing Boland Mountains in the background.