Horseback Africa - Pinto`s Lodge
concentrates on personal enjoyment for each and every guest. The emphasis is on horse riding and conservation of wildlife expressed in the walking-with-lions program.
Similar to our lions, we pride our selves with family values. We always love, protect and respect.
The serene surrounding at the lodge offers a beautiful setting for families and small groups of travellers. Various species of game, including giraffe, zebra, wildebeest, antelope, warthogs, porcupine, caracals, jackals, and even the odd leopard sightings at night, makes Horseback Africa the ideal location for eager guests who have come to Africa for it’s wildlife.
The famous horse riding safaris at Horseback Africa allow the guests to view the game from close range.
Professional and amateur photographers have the opportunity for stunning close-up photos of lions and wildlife.
Ornithologists will be intrigued by the variety of bird species in the lodge gardens.
Historians should consider a longer stay at Horseback Africa so that they have the opportunity to visit the nearby attractions such as the world-famous diamond mine in Cullinan.
Geologists will be amazed by the geological structures found in the mountains on the game reserve, and anthropologists will be keen on the hiking trails to the caves.
Everybody from holiday-makers to keen conservationists will enjoy the passion expressed by the family towards this beautiful place.
Accommodation at Horseback Africa - Pinto`s Lodge:
The lion and zebra and meercat rooms offer access to a beautiful common lounge with a cosy fireplace. The lounge is furnished with antique furnishings. The coffee and tea station is situated next to a minibar (stocked upon request) and a microwave. There is a television screen so as to enjoy videos freely available to all overnight guests. The massage room, which is also situated within the main lodge building, opens out into it’s own private bonsai garden.
The Lion Room
is rather spacious and has a king-size double bed. It boasts an en-suite bathroom with a shower option within the bath with a glass shield. The toilet is separate for extra privacy. The furnishings are that of the old colonial style. The lion room is situated right next to an adult lion camp, so the occupants of this room have the privilege of enjoying the roaring at night from close quarters.
The Zebra Room
is cozy with an open-plan en-suite bathroom. It has a separate toilet for extra privacy. This room has two single beds. It has a view on the lodge gardens.
The Meercat Room
is rather large so as to accommodate a couple with a child. It has a king-size double bed and a children’s bed. It also has a small round table in the corner with a chair. It has a separate bathroom with a sunken bath with a rock finish. It has a view on the lodge gardens.
The Giraffe Room
has an outside entrance with a double sliding door. It therefore has a small verandah with garden furniture in it. This room can be configured with either two single beds or a king-size double bed. It is very spacious with two armchairs for comfort. It also has a coffee/tea station. It has an en-suite toilet and shower.
The Serval Room
has an outside entrance with a beautifully decorated carved rhino door. The large ceiling-to-floor windows gives a view into a private African rock-art garden. It has a king-size double bed as well as a sleeper couch for a child. It also has a desk for those who need to use computers during their stay. The coffee/tea station is situated on the desk. It has an en-suite toilet and shower.
The Bushman’s Cottage
is a romantic and rustic thatched cottage out in the bush. It sleeps 2 adults and 2 children on bunk beds. All bedding is included.
Other facilities at Horseback Africa - Pinto`s Lodge:
- There is no electricity, but there are solar lights
- There is an outside flush toilet
- There is an outside hot-water shower
- There is an outside “chilling" area around a camp fire
Horseback Africa - Pinto's Lodge Activities:
The Standard Horse Riding Safari
at Horseback Africa consists of the following:
- The half day experience morning safari starts at 8:00am on site with a delicious cup of filter coffee or a selection of different teas. Maximum 10 pax.
- Every participant is then interviewed to get the rider onto the correct horse for their level of riding.
- After the introduction the guide does a preflight briefing which is a lecture on safety and Natural Horsemanship.
- The riders then walk up to the stables where they are fitted with hard helmets and chaps for safety.
- The ride takes place on Horseback Africas own private game reserve which has a large selection of wild animals including giraffe, zebras, blue wildebeest and many species of antelope. Each rider is encouraged to strive towards learning more about horse riding. The beginners therefore learn to do sitting trot, rising trot and often even a canter, while the advanced riders are encouraged to enjoy some jumps, banks and riding through water. The time in the saddle is around 2 hours long.
- On returning to the lodge, the riders then enjoy a good meal in the restaurant.
- Lunch is included in the price, except the bar tab. The entire experience ends around 13:00.
Come meet our lions
- Lion Tours, half day experience. Morning or Afternoon tour at R690 per person (max 15 pax).
- Morning tour starts at 9am. This tour ends with a lunch "pizza on the wild side".
- Afternoon tour arrival time at 12:30 pm. The tour starts with the lunch at around 1 pm.
- This is then followed by a lecture on the behaviour of lions.
- We then go for a walk to with the teenage lions, or any other rehab animals.
At times children under the age of 12 will be given an environmental educational program during the time that the adults have the awareness lecture and the walk with the teenage lions. We then cuddle the cubs in the Cubs Garden where the little ones get to walk all over you.
No discount for children.
Click to display the map
Clothing & Accessories:
Comfortable clothing for relaxation. Long pants and good shoes for horse-riding as well as walking with lions.