Halstead Farm is a double storey `Provence style` farmhouse built just before the turn of the 20th century when the Sundays River valley came into prominence as a citrus growing region.
The bedrooms are in a cottage overlooking a private garden that is separate from the main house.
Sir Percy Fitzpatrick, author of the South African classic tale `Jock of the Bushveld` pioneered the citrus development in the valley by bringing water, via canal system, to this fertile region.
On many occasions he and other of the valley`s early pioneers would use the vantage of the double story balcony to view the expanding agricultural developments of those early years. While the main house today remains our residence we have recently opened the guest cottage to visitors.
Each morning breakfast is served between 7:45 am and 10:00 am in the courtyard around the pool.
Accommodation at Halstead Farm:
Accommodation at Halstead is in a separate cottage from the manor house with 3 en-suite bedrooms all individually decorated in the typically colonial style. All of our bathrooms are complete with bath and separate showers.
All rooms lead onto a wide decorated veranda overlooking a private garden.
The cottage has a separate driveway and entrance to the manor house which assists guest to come a go at will. All guests have access to enjoy our swimming pool set in an enclosed courtyard.
- Halstead, a mere 10 minutes drive from the Addo Elephant National Park, serves as the perfect launch to experience all the Safari activities of the area. Guest can experience the big five of the National park on either self drive or pre-arranged open land rover tours. The central position of Halstead has proved to be a useful springboard to explore the valley. The Sundays River Valley is typical of many farming communities with various farm stalls, polo club, library, etc.
- The 'Lookout' burial site of Sir Percy Fitzpatrick has the most wonderful viewing platform built over 50 years ago from where an elevated perspective of the whole expanse of the valley can be gained.
- We can similarly arrange all of your alternate safari activities like horseback rides into Addo, or perhaps night drives with Schotia on their tooth and claw safari drives where guest can enjoy abundant sightings of lions.
- Our intimate knowledge of the valley enables us to advise on the whole area including Port Elizabeth. We also advise and book all your restaurant and dining experience.
- 3 weeks prior to arrival 50% of full amount.
- 2 weeks prior to arrival 75% of full amount.
- 1 week prior to arrival 100% of full amount.
Facilities & Services available:
Children under 12 years
Pets only by Arrangement
Bar on the Premises
Fireplace on the Premises
Xhosa / Zulu
Halstead Farm is a Bed and Breakfast and Guest Farm in Addo Village Addo Eastern Cape South Africa