Welcome to Haina Safari Lodge on the northern border of the Central Kalahari Park in Botswana.
Classically African, relaxed and informal accommodation is offered in luxury safari tents. The main boma of wood and thatch houses the lounge, dining room and bar area.
Mobile overnight and day trip safaris are offered into the Park. Activities on offer include game drives, quad bike safari and an unforgettable experience with the local Bushmen people.
The setting of Haina Safari Lodge is classically African, relaxed and informal. The Main Boma consists of a lounge, dining room and bar area decorated in wood and thatch.
A swimming pool, sun deck, well-appointed bar and an expansive boma eating area are among the facilities available to visitors. The sundeck is a popular spot for social activities and for exchanging accounts of the various sightings of birds and animals seen during the day.
The Lodge accommodates up to 20 guests in tented accommodation which are all private with their own decks.
* Guided drives:
By experienced and knowledgeable guides to view the game, teeming bird life and surrounding areas is the most popular pastime.
For the less adventurous time may be spent absorbing the sun, enjoying a 360-degree view and sampling the delectable fare provided by the resident chef.
* Bushmen - Cultural Experience:
Haina is home to a group of Bushmen, who are free to continue their nomadic life or join the experienced staff at Haina.
They will share with you how they go about their daily lives, how they search for roots and plants to live on, how to make a fire and do a rain dance.
* Quad Biking:
Quad biking is a novel way to explore the verdant countryside and to view the game and bird life . It also presents an outlet for the young at heart to give vent to their thirst for excitement.
Highlights would be sightings of the big cats, they are extremely vocal and seen regularly. There are several territorial leopards and cheetahs that also move through the conservancy.
There are the usual antelope species especially herds of Gemsbuck, Blue Wildebeest and Eland. Kudu are also plentiful. brown hyena do occasionally move through the area as well. Game drives are lead by an experienced guide. Evening sundowners are served after the game drive with the sun setting over the Kalahari.
* Full day excursion into Deception Valley, Central Kalahari Game Reserve:
Depart early morning ( 06h00 depending on season) and make our way to the Central Kalahari Game Reserve. The driving time is approximately 3 hours to Deception Valley.
Arriving at Deception Pan we will enjoy a Kalahari picnic. Deception Valley is an ancient fossil river, game viewing is especially good as there are open plains and it is common to see very large herds of antelope.
We will visit the camp site of Mark and Delia Owens, the authors of the book Cry of the Kalahari, we will learn more about their journeys in this fascinating region of Africa.
Returning to Haina in the late afternoon in time to freshen up before our evening meal.
* Luxury tents
The 6 Luxury tents consist of a bedroom and en-suite bathroom with shower and toilet.
* Superior Luxury Tents
Three of the Superior Luxury tents have thatch roofs, large decks and full bathrooms.
All units are furnished in subtle earth tones and dark woods in a contemporary African theme and reflect the bush area.
* The Honeymoon Tent
The Honeymoon tent has been custom built around the trees. It consists of a four poster bed a large bathroom with views of the bush.
Camping at Haina
Brakah Camp Site:
Situated +/- 3 km from the main gate of Haina Safari Lodge. There are 10 camp sites under thorn trees. An ablution block with a double set of flush toilets and showers with hot and cold running water.
No electricity is provided. A sink is provided for washing of dishes. Water is salty and cannot be used for drinking.
The main lodge is +/- 3km from the camp site and some drinks, ice and wood can be purchased here.
The rate for the Brakah Camp is 20 Pula per vehicle entrance fee and 80 Pula per person per night. Children under the age of 11 are free. Firewood may be purchased from the Lodge.
Activities Available to Campers:
* Please note self drive on the property is allowed with a speed limit of 30km/hr. closed vehicles only.
* Guided Walks
- Join the resident ranger and Bushmen tracker on a bush trail.
- Learn more about animal spoor, the vegetation of the Kalahari.
- Varied lengths and duration depending on the guests physical fitness but anything between 3-5 kilometers
- Take the main road to Nata - turn right at about 50km out of Maun towards Makalamabedi. Drive on for 18km (mind the sharp right crossing the Boteti river!) to the Vet fence gate.
- Go through the fence and turn directly right (90 deg.) onto the cutline running South (mind the curb - take a wide turn.)
- Continue on the cutline for 70 odd km and turn right again entering the gate at Kuke corner. #Take the small loop around and drive west along the Northern border on CKGR for 20km.
- There is a sign for Haina on the right. Enter the gate and follow the most used road for about 6km to the lodge.
- From Makalamabedi one can also stay 'inside' the fence (especially if one carries meat), but the road on the outside is much better. It is a 4 x 4 drive though.
- The best route is via Orapa towards Mopipi (also a reliable fuel stop) onto Rakops. Go straight past Rakops towards Maun for about 22km.
-There is a Haina sign on the left with a smooth 50km sand road straight into Kuke Corner.
-(Perhaps some places 4 x 4 as well) Go on straight through the gate (continue west) and connect with # above.
What to bring
All camping equipment is provided, you need to bring only your clothing and personal items, we suggest that they include:
* Walking shoes
* Clothing should preferably be comfortable and in colours that blend in with the bush and should include shorts and long trousers, a bush jacket for the evenings is recommended.