Elephant Rock Lodge is situated in the Nambiti Big 5 Private Game Reserve, malaria free near Ladysmith, KwaZulu-Natal.
Elephant Rock Lodge offers the thrill of Big Five game viewing as well as the creature comforts of a top-class resort. A staff ratio of one staff member per guest ensures phenomenal service and personalised attention to detail. Relax on the deck next to the delightful pool or enjoy a sun downer on the main viewing deck overlooking the waterhole. The bar is an ideal meeting place for pre-dinner drinks.
Elephant Rock is unlike other luxury safari destinations and welcomes families with children (regret no children under 3 years of age unless the lodge has been booked for exclusive use only). Whilst being a child-friendly safari lodge, Elephant Rock does not take responsibility for the childrens safety whilst at the lodge or out on a game drive and asks that parents supervise their children at all times.
Safari Conferences and Workshops:
The lodge is ideal for small exclusive conferences or workshops for up to ten people. Exclusive use of the lodge allows a conference, activities and meals to be planned to the guests requirements.
Accommodation at Elephant Rock Lodge:
Abundant Big Five viewing is complemented by elegant air-conditioned accommodation and superb cuisine.
The sumptuous individual suites, each with full en-suite facilities, outdoor shower and private deck area have either sweeping views of the active waterhole, or indigenous bush veld with abundant bird life. There are five suites, including one family suite and accommodation at the lodge caters for a maximum of ten people. Attention to highly personalised service makes for a memorable stay.
Cuisine at Elephant Rock Lodge:
Elephant Rock is proud to offer its guests a selection of dining venues. Choose from a sumptuous dinner next to the fire in the main lodge on a cold night, a traditional meal complete with roaring fire in the boma, a meal under the stars on the magnificent deck overlooking the waterhole.
Our Chefs pride themselves on the preparation of mouth-watering dishes that appeal to guests from all walks of life. Breakfast is served upon returning from a game drive and consists of a combined Continental and English breakfast and hot dishes made to order. A light lunch is served prior to the afternoon safari and a sumptuous dinner awaits guests upon returning from the late afternoon safari. Guests individual dietary requirements are respected and visitors are requested to advise of any special dietary requirements at the reservation stage.
Elephant Rock is the perfect facility for a celebratory getaway. Sole and exclusive use of the lodge is available. Plan your own menu, time of drive and location of meals by arrangement.
The Elandslaagte battlefield and memorials of the British and Boers fall within the Nambiti Private Game Reserve boundary.
The Nambiti Private Game Reserve is located in the heart of the KwaZulu-Natal battlefields, a short drive from the legendary Rorkes Drift and Isandlwana battlefields.
The original military hospital building still exists today. A comprehensive account of the Battle of Elandslaagte can be found in the publication, an extract of which is included here.
Directions from Johannesburg:
- Head for Ladysmith on the N3. Once you have entered KwaZulu Natal via Van Reenen, look out for the Ladysmith Toll off-ramp (at the bottom of Van Reenen's Pass.
- Turn left and drive toward Ladysmith on the R103. When you arrive in Ladysmith, drive straight through, following the N11 Road to Newcastle.
- From the last traffic lights leaving Ladysmith travel for 7kms. Turn Right onto the D45 Road, follow for 10Kms, at the Y-Junction turn right, travel along side the game fence for 2 Km until you reach the gate-house which is staffed.
Directions ex Durban / Pmb to Nambiti Private Game Reserve:
- Travel on the N3 through Mooi River Toll Gate (R33.00), past Escourt to Ladysmith (direction Harrismith / Johannesburg).
- After Escourt; take the Bergville / Colenso R74 (R103) off-ramp / exit 194, turn right at the top of the off ramp and travel past Colenso towards Ladysmith / Newcastle.
- Cross the bridge (Klip River [also known as First Wagon Bridge] into Ladysmith and continue following the directions for the N11 to Newcastle [look out for the following land marks: Marks Tyres on left, Game on left and Kentucky Fried Chicken on left].
- At the traffic light intersection with the Caltex Petrol Station on the left continue straight over the railway bridge and past TFS on the left and under another railway bridge.
At the next traffic lights continue straight (N11) towards Newcastle. Travel for 7kms and look out for the brown Nambiti sign on the left and a small sign reading D45. This sign is also on the left of the N11.
- Turn Right onto the D45 Road (road), travel for 10,3kms; turn right at the Y-Junction (onto the D46) and travel for 2 km until you reach the entrance to Nambiti Private Game Reserve (Electric Gate and Thatched Gate-house).
Our gate guard will direct you to the undercover parking area where our ranger will meet you and transfer you to the lodge.
Please note that Cellphone reception in this area is erratic.