The 3500 hectare Bateleur Main and Mobile Camp
property is located in the heart of the world renowned Timbavati Private Nature Reserve, an exceptional safari location. All artificial barriers between the Timbavati and the adjacent Kruger National Park have been removed and the Bateleur property itself shares unfenced borders with Kruger.
On this exclusive property we proudly offer Bateleur Main Camp, a 16-bed up-market Safari Camp. This prime wilderness area boasts the Big Five, a large diversity of antelope species, the entire range of smaller predators, over 500 bird species, and a tremendous diversity of reptiles, amphibians and invertebrates.
Bateleur's traversing area extends over 10 000 hectares of the Timbavati Reserve.What makes Bateleur Unique?
- Bateleur Main Camp is located on a private 3500 hectare Timbavati property where vehicle density is so low, that guests may encounter no other people for the duration of their stay..
- The property has such a prime location that the average sightings of wildlife and birdlife are amongst the very best commercially available in the Greater Kruger
- The full 10 000 hectare traversing area includes other properties on the same radio frequency which greatly increases the chance of quality wildlife sightings
- Bateleur Main Camp accommodates maximum 16 clients per night which only enhances the exclusivity already provided by its remote location on such a prime property
- The included activities of bushcraft, spider & scorpion module, and basic astronomy all add exceptional value that will exceed expectations
- For additional cost, incredible optional extras are also offered on the property, such as interactive reptile demo and tribal dancing
Ideal for couples, singles and small groups of 16 people who are looking for a high quality Timbavati safari camp experience. Clients staying at Bateleur Main Camp will enjoy daily morning and afternoon-evening guided game drives in an open safari vehicle with qualified guide & tracker â€“ spotlights are used after dark. Optional bush walks are also offered in accordance with the preferences of the group, as well as bushcraft, a spider & scorpion module, and basic astronomy if the sky is clear.Bateleur Main Camp accommodation:
Accommodating up to 16 people, Bateleur Main Camp offers comfortable safari units with a unique design. Each tent has: a thatched A-frame roof with supporting gum-pole structure and covered patio; canvas sides with large windows offering fixed mosquito screens and roll-down flaps; double wooden front doors with fixed mosquito screens and roll-down flaps for the top half; a large en-suite bathroom. The units vary in size, each sleeping 2-4 persons in upmarket comfort with spacious & comfortable beds, quality linen, mosquito nets, bedside tables with solar powered bedside lamps, wardrobes & adequate storage facilities, and a solar powered fan for the hot weather. Plug points are provided for charging camera batteries but hair dryers cannot be used due to the excessive load that they place on the system. Each spacious en-suite bathroom has flush-toilet, basin and a hot-water shower - some units have an interior bath tub and a private outdoor shower. Quality towels are provided. For guests who would like to try a shower under the stars, outdoor showers are provided with all the privacy that you will need and water is heated via a boiler fueled by a wood fire. A chemical-free swimming pool is located at the central area for guests to cool off between guided activities on a hot day. A minimum stay of 2 nights is required throughout the year
The feature of the central area is the covered wooden deck that overlooks the riverbed and its seasonal waterhole. The comfortable lounge area is an ideal place for relaxing with a good book and a cool drink between guided activities. Books are available from the library and drinks can be purchased from the bar. At meal times the covered dining area is the perfect location for enjoying sumptuous dining whilst absorbing the sights and sounds of the bush. The wooden deck extends past the adjacent swimming pool, allowing guests to cool off in the heat of the day without missing the wildlife and birdlife that frequent the waterhole. The central area is completed by a tastefully finished, low-walled boma area open to the stars with chairs set up around a central fireplace, and a braai/barbeque area where food is often prepared by the chef on the open fire. This is an ideal place to relax around the fire and share stories of the day's activities under a big African sky.
When building Bateleur Main camp, making as small a footprint as possible was a priority. Tented walls were chosen over concrete structures, allowing guests inside the units a closer interaction with the outdoors. No trees were removed in the building process, allowing the camp to unobtrusively blend into the surrounds. Approximately 120 trees have subsequently been planted in and around the camp. Regular 4-legged visitors that can be seen walking within the camp perimeter during the day include Nyalas, warthogs and bushbuck, while elephants, buffalo and rhino can sometimes be seen walking through the river bed in front of the camp.Bateleur Main Camp Rates include:
- Accommodation in quality 2-4 person safari units with en suite bathrooms
- Daily morning and afternoon-evening guided game drives in an open safari vehicle
- Optional bush walks in accordance with the preferences of the group
- Bushcraft; spider & scorpion module; basic astronomy (if the sky is clear)
- 3 meals per day; teas & coffees; soft drinks; juices; bottled waterBateleur Main Camp Rates exclude:
- Timbavati Reserve Conservation Levies: (subject to change without notice): Adults R328 per person per night; Children aged 6-11: R164 per child per night
- Timbavati Gate vehicle levy of R160 per vehicle (subject to change without notice)
- Alcohol - locals beers and wines can be purchased in camp
- All transfers to and from the camp - options and rates available on request
- Gratuities and all items of a personal nature
- Additional activities as follows (all activities subject to availability at time of booking; extra costs on application): Interactive reptile demonstration; Tribal dancing/drumming
- Minimum stay 2 nights throughout the year
- Rates and conservation/vehicle levies are subject to change without prior notice
- Singles can only be accommodated once 2 sharing clients have already booked for the same dates
- Minimum age 12 for all guided bush walk participants; no maximum age but an average fitness level is required since each walk can last 3-4 hours
- Children aged 6-11 sharing with an adult pay 50% of the adult sharing rate
NOTE: this is on request only and subject to confirmation at the time of booking
- Clients will be required to sign an indemnity on arrival
- Please bring cash for gate fees and drinks (no ATM's in the bush)
- Booking prerequisite: guests must have adequate travel insurance to cover any emergency, casualty evacuation and/or hospitalization for their full safari durationGuided Activities at Bateleur Main Camp:
Although we operate in a prime Big 5 and wildlife area, there are no guarantees regarding sightings - what you see is what you get. We do however guarantee a real bush experience that you will never forget!
Clients staying at Bateleur Main Camp will enjoy daily morning and afternoon-evening guided game drives in an open safari vehicle with a qualified ranger & tracker. Each guided game drive is approx. 3-4 hours in duration, with a break midway for coffee & biscuits (mornings) or sun downer drinks & snacks (evenings). During the guided game drives you can view the magnificent wildlife & birdlife up close from the comfort of the open safari vehicle, using spotlights after sun downers to search for the nocturnal creatures. And if we hear the lions roaring close to camp, or pick up the signs of a kill or anything interesting nearby, you have the option of climbing aboard the open safari vehicle to go and have a look, any time day or night!
During your stay at Bateleur you will be treated to very informative instruction relating to bushcraft, a spider & scorpion module, and basic astronomy if the sky is clear. Optional bush walks are also offered in accordance with the preferences of the group, led by a qualified & armed ranger and an experienced tracker. Every walk is a book on its own, with the emphasis on information relating to all the wonders of nature, big and small. The minimum age for bush walks is 12 and, although there is no maximum age, an average fitness level is required especially in the hotter summer months (October to April).
Additional activities are offered at an extra cost, such as an interactive reptile demonstration and tribal dancing/drumming. All such activities are subject to availability at the time of booking and the extra costs are available on application.