Three Victorian terrace houses dating from the 1890s have been given a radical African update and are now described in some of the best publications as `African Zen` `Urban Safari` and the like.
There are 13 amazingly stylish (not kitsch!) bedrooms, all with bathrooms or shower rooms, etc. and these have access to three huge common use areas: a Library with computers, a curio shop and books - of course!; next there is a Lounge where you will find complimentary port and sherry laid out in the evening, and lastly there is a generous communal Dining Room (although in the summer we prefer to serve Breakfast out doors)
The house serves breakfasts only (and very generous ones at that!) but there are at least 25 excellent restaurants within easy walking distance.
We have a large a peaceful courtyard with a cooling plunge pool for those stifling summers’ days. Guests are able to help themselves to a selection of beverages in an `Honesty Bar` fridge and there is complimentary cake on offer.
Our staff are mines of information about what`s happening in our city and will be very happy to reserve restaurants, tours (e.g. to the Cape Of Good Home Nature Reserve, the Wine Area of Stellenbosch, Franschhoek and Paarl, or to one of the Townships). They can also arrange car rentals and airport pickups for you. Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens are just around the mountain from us and there are about 5 golf courses within a short taxi ride. The wonderful Atlantic Beaches of Camps Bay and Clifton and a 6-minute taxi ride away
A self-catering Penthouse Apartment with sweeping views across the city towards Table Bay 5 blocks up the hill from the Villa is offered (secure block with undercover parking).
All rooms are equipped with wall-safes, tea/coffee stations, flat screen TV with satellite stations, hair dryer, telephone, complimentary wi-fi, white cotton percale bedding.
All rooms can be fitted with king-size or twin single beds. A third bed is possible in the largest Platinum Class rooms.
- Silver Class Rooms are en suite with shower room, basin and toilet. They face a quiet courtyard with plunge pool where breakfast is served in good weather.
- Gold Class Rooms are en suite with bath AND shower. They have limited views of the mountain and face our courtyard.
- Platinum Class Rooms are en suite with full bathroom. 3 have very large furnished balconies facing a quiet suburban street. They are large rooms with 4-poster beds and can sleep a third person (Add R250 to the rate for an additional bed).
An African Villa Activities:
- Table Mountain
- Atlantic Beaches (Clifton & Camps Bay etc.)
- The Cape Town Convention Centre
- The Victoria & Alfred Waterfront development
- Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens
- Cape of Good Hope
- Numerous Golf Courses (Mowbray, Milnerton, Clovelly)
- Robben Island
- The Cape Winelands
- University of Cape Town city campus
- Restaurants, Museums, Art Galleries, Street Markets (e.g. Green Market Square), The Cape Malay Quarter, -The De Waterkant precinct, The Biscuit Mill market.
- All sea activities (Salt water fishing, surfing, wind surfing, diving, snorkelling, paddle-ski)
- Adventure sports: Mountaineering and hiking (Table Mountain, Lion's Head, Devil's Peak, Muisenberg (caving), Abseiling, sky-diving, paragliding.
Click to display the map
Clothing & Accessories:
Hats and sun protection creams are advisable for mountain walking and beach activities during the summer (September to May). During the winter (May-August) you should bring layers of clothing because the weather can be very variable (9C to 28C)- our Mediterranian climate brings rains in the winter so light rain gear is advisable - we supply umbrellas at the Villa although wind can cause these to break easily!
Health & Climate:
The Western Cape is malaria free though you may want to bring along an insect spray for comfort.