Amakaya Backpackers & Self Catering is ideally sitiated for the guest want a central base from which to visit the area from Knysna to Storms River.
A short 300m walk has you in the main street of Plettenberg Bay and 500m further you will be on the popular Central Beach.
When not out and about you can relax on the upstairs veranda with its views of the Tsitsikamma Mountains, lagoon and sea or you can laze in one of our hammocks in the garden.
At night relax around the fire or have a braai(BBQ) in one of our 2 braai areas.
Not sure what to do - our staff will point you in a direction with a list of things to do. We will also help you plan your routes for your onward trip.
We offer a variety of accommodation - rooms for a bit of privacy or dorms for those who don’t mind sharing.
Our rooms and dorms are named after nearby popular mountain passes.
- Montagu twin room - 2 single beds, valuables safe, built-in cupboards. Choice of 2 shared bathrooms opposite room.
- Kaaimans twin room - 2 single beds, valuables safe, built-in cupboards. Choice of 2 shared bathrooms opposite room.
- Outeniqua en-suite room- double bed and 2 bunk beds. Full bathroom, private balcony, valuables safe, built-in cupboards, satellite TV.
- Baviaans private dorm - 2 bunk beds. Shared bathroom.
- Bloukrans dorm - 4 bunk beds, en-suite bathroom, private entrance.
- Meiringspoort dorm - 8 bunk beds, own bathroom.
- Tradouw dorm - 10 bunk beds, kitchen area, en-suite bathroom, private entrance, satellite TV.
Amakaya Backpackers & Self Catering Activities:
Adventures and things to do within 25km of Amakaya Backpackers are:
- Whale and dolphin watching
- Eagle Encounters
- Wolf Sanctuary
- Snake Sanctuary
- Robberg Nature Reserve
- Adventure Land
- Birds of Eden
- Elephant experience
- Scuba Diving
- Adventure boat rides
- Swimming with seals
- Surfing and surfing lessons
- Jet Ski
- Paddle ski
- Boat cruises
- Deep sea fishing
- Horse riding
- Bridge walk
- Quad biking
…and many more!
Venturing further afield:
- Bungy Jump – highest in the world!
- Canopy tours – ride the treetops.
- Black Water tubing – ride the river
- Cango Caves
- Ostrich farms
- Catamaran cruise
- Mitchells brewery
- Train museum
- Great White Shark cage diving
- Otter Trail
Half day and full day tours are also available and can be planned to suite your requirements. Our Adventure Centre will tell you what is available and help you plan your personalised tour.
Click to display the map