Airstream Penthouse Trailer Park
is a gleaming fleet of seven iconic American Airstream trailers have packed up their corndogs and tucked away their picnic blankets to roost on the rooftop of The Grand Daddy Hotel. Here, the quintessential African skies and the alluring outline of Cape Town’s Table Mountain are reflected in the polished aluminium of the American Dream.
Peek inside – there’s more! Each of the seven trailers has been handed over to some incredibly creative Capetonian soul to find new life through playful, eccentric and dazzling décor interpretations of how life in an Airstream can be.
Your Airstream is enclosed by a tidy garden complete with US Postal Service mailboxes. Watch an outdoor movie on hot summer nights at The Pink Flamingo Cinema and find an excuse to make this the destination for your next gathering of family and friends.
All the Airstreams are air-conditioned, incredibly well-insulated, have hot and cold running water, flushing toilets and showers. For those who want to pimp their park life and flash their trailer trash – or for those who simply want to experience the world’s only trailer park penthouse suite - just take the vintage elevator to the third floor, take the rooftop exit and enter the adventure.
Each Airstream trailer includes:
- A queen-size bed
- Wet room with a shower & WC
- Beautiful Earth bathroom amenities
- Universal electricity outlets, wifi, satellite television & security safe.
- Mini bar fridge with bottled water (fully stocked upon request) & individual remote-controlled air-conditioning.
- The Winelands Airstream is the largest trailer and can easily accommodate parents traveling with a child.
Rooftop Trailers at the The Grand Daddy: Gold Rush:
Aptly named Gold Rush, this vintage trailer has been designed by Jacqui Hunter of Imagenius. It features elements that showcase our country’s rich and diverse culture and history.
Inspiration: Gold was discovered on a – as it was then known – Transvaal farm, in 1886 by two prospectors. This discovery caused a turning point in South African history. It is interesting to note that far more than diamonds, it changed South Africa from an agricultural society to become the largest gold producer in the world.
All the beauty of the Namaqualand’s floral kingdom, with none of the hayfever! Celebrate the West Coast’s wild, flowery cosmos in our Bloomin’ Daisies trailer.
Inspiration: At first glance Namaqualand appears to be a wilderness of semi-desert with dramatic mountains in the background. In the Spring it is suddenly transformed, into a pageant of flowers. The Namaqualand Flower Route lies 5 hours north of Cape Town, a series of drives that centre on the towns of Garies, Springbok, Kamieskroon and Port Nolloth, way up the N7.
City Flights is wallpapered with the owners’ personal aviation maps, showcasing their love for flying as well as celebrating the diversity of South Africa’s cities.
Inspiration: Our City Flights trailer is wallpapered with the owners of The Grand Daddy’s personal aviation maps, showcasing their love for flying as well as celebrating the diversity of South Africa’s cities.
The wide open spaces and iconic windmills that dot the landscape of the Karoo desert provided inspiration for this light, funky modern design that is the Karoo Dorps trailer – a perfect place to get away from it all.
Inspiration: The Great Karoo stands proudly with other desert tourism regions like the Australian Outback and Arizona and New Mexico in the United States, and makes for a memorable road-trip. You could travel for months in and about the towns of the Great Karoo and have a different experience in each one. The Karoo landscape, dotted with windmills, spans nearly 400 000 square kilometers.
Beach House Interiors, synonymous with one of South Africa’s most-loved tourist destinations, has partnered with the Grand Daddy to transform one of the Airstream trailers into a seaside paradise. Enjoyed by foodies, fun-lovers, artists and surfers alike, the seaside village of Hermanus is a must-stop on a road trip along the N2 in the Western Cape.
Inspiration: Enjoyed by foodies, fun-lovers, artists and surfers alike, the seaside village of Hermanus, synonymous with one of South Africa’s most-loved tourist destinations, is a must-stop on a road trip along the N2 in the Western Cape and is famous for its unrivaled whale watching hot spots.
A trailer that has captured the authentic African beauty of Jaci’s Lodges in the Madikwe Game Reserve and the Cheetah Plains Private Game Reserve at Sabi Sands. Jaci’s Lodges and Cheetah Plains offer differing, exceptional wildlife experiences, both capturing the unique wilderness that only Mother Africa can offer. Now a “rooftop safari”, complete with an outdoor shower, adds to your special South African adventure.
Inspiration: Jaci’s Lodges in the Madikwe Game Reserve invites guests to safari in style. Jaci’s prides itself on its specialized safari experiences, South African inspired cuisine and outdoor starlit dining. Set in the famous Sabi Sand, Cheetah Plains offers guests unrivaled game viewing opportunities. The combination of its idyllic setting, comfortable bush-style accommodation and authentic South African home-style dining, keeps guests returning to this special bush lodge.
As the largest of the Airstream trailers, this is the big daddy of the Grand Daddy’s rooftop trailer park. This Airstream trailer will have you feeling like tiptoeing through the vineyards – or at the very least, opening a bottle of bubbly and enjoying the comfort and quirkiness of our rooftop.
Inspiration: To the east of Cape Town, in the shadow of mountains, lies a series of valleys known as the Cape Winelands. A collection of historic towns & Cape Dutch farmsteads that provide well-regarded South African wines to the world. These mountains create an incredible scenic backdrop for vineyards, but they are also one of the reasons wines do so well here. Their geological compositions provide unique soil conditions that directly affect the character of wine.
Airstream Penthouse Trailer Park Activities:
- Not to blow our trumpet, but Cape Town is also one of the world's Five Bluest Skies destinations, the Ethisphere Institute named the Mother City one of the World's 20 Most Sustainable Cities and we are the Third Best Food City in the World according to The Lonely Planet's Blue List.
- So what is all the fuss about? Cape Town is dramatically located between sea and mountain. To the West are the sunbleached beaches and azure skies of the West Coast and to the right are the Fynbos-to-forest stretches of the green and gorgeous Garden Route.
- Cape Town itself offers a cosmopolitan mix of nightlife, creativity, craft, shopping and gourmet food, whilst nature spoils you with beaches, mountain walks, endless views, birdlife and diverse flora.
- As much as Cape Town has an African flavour and an easy-going nature, it also boasts a world class infrastructure, excellent communication systems, good roads and a service-orientated mentality.
- Before and during your stay at the Grand Daddy, we can assist you in creating tours, adventures and experiences to maximize your visit. Welcome to Cape Town - its beautiful here!
Click to display the map