The mission stations were established during the 1800's when missionaries from Europe established them to spread the Word among the indigenous people. The population of these stations grew rapidly after slavery was abolished in 1838 and many freed slaves arrived from nearby farms.
While doing the mission route, visitors will also enjoy the natural beauties of the areas like the phenomena of the unforgettable wild flowers of the west coast and Namaqualand - and enjoy the unforgettable hospitality of the people.
The various mission villages are:Mamre
- situated between Darling & AtlantisWittewater
- between Piketberg & Velddrif Goedverwacht
- between Piketberg & VelddrifElandskloof
- about 17km from CitrusdalWupperthal
- about 72 km from ClanwilliamPapendorp
- 9km from EbenhaezerEbenhaezer
- about 55km from VredendalTroe-Troe Sending
- at VanrhynsdorpRietpoort
- about 35km from Bitterfontein