Kids will enjoy a truly unique, educational and fun family safari at Shamwari Game Reserve
Upon arrival, the children’s coordinator (Riverdene Lodge
) or lodge manager (Sarili Lodge
) will discuss activity options with the family taking the family’s size, children’s ages and the weather into consideration.
Child minding facilities are available at an additional cost for children younger than 4 years as they are too young to join game drives. Each child will receive an age-appropriate gift pack.Experiences for Kids
- Exclusive visit to the Born Free Foundation Big Cat Rescue Centre: Activities are focused on promoting the conservation of species and the protection of habitat whilst maintaining a humane and compassionate approach to the welfare of animals.
- Shamwari Animal Rehabilitation Centre: Different types of wild animals or raptors that are being cared for at the time, under special supervision by the Shamwari veterinarian team, for release back into the wild
- Riverdene Lodge: Children can partake in various social, sporting, arts and cultural activities under the supervision of our children’s coordinator.Indoor Activities
- Scrap books, paper, scissors, glue crayons, pencils & paints
- Puzzles of varying sizes and difficulties covering a broad age range
- Documentary DVD’s on various conservation topics and animals, animated movies
- A selection of entertaining and educational children’s books
- A selection of fun board gamesChild rates
0 – 3 Year old - no additional cost; not permitted on game drives
4 – 11 Year old - 50% (half) of the adult sharing rate.
Please see details of Shamwari Game ReserveSpecial Notes
- Sarili Lodge
does not have a dedicated children’s coordinator and therefore a child minder must be requested prior to arrival (additional cost)
- All swimming activities must be supervised by parents at all times
- Children younger than 4 years of age are too young to join game drives; unfortunately no exceptions can be made
- Parents must accompany children of younger than 4 years when visiting the Born Free Centre and Shamwari Wildlife Hospital
- Children’s menu available
- Child minding is charged at an additional cost if this service is required for “one-on-one” attention, pre-booking is essential.