See also Encounter Magazine's guide on South Africa Monuments and Memorials
Opened on 13 July 1974, the building commemorates the significance of the 1820 British settlers in South African history and acknowledges the important legacy bequeathed by those intrepid, hardy and visionary immigrants – freedom of speech, freedom of the press, freedom of association and promotion of the English language, art, literature, poetry and music.
The Monument has been specifically designed for use as a conference centre.Comprising various halls of different sizes, a theatre, restaurant and the Fountain Court - the symbolic heart of the Monument with the Yellowwood sculpture, the bubbling Millstone Fountain and the Skotnes murals.
It is unlike any other monument because, since its opening this superbly equipped building has been a centre of creative thought and activity.
The building provides facilities for use by all South Africans, in particular activities which encourage the ideals of freedom of speech, social interaction and the use of English as a contact language.
This concept of a living Monument led to the establishment of highly successful educational and cultural projects.
The Monument is now used by well over 200 000 people a year from all South African groups.