Most visitors to Kruger Park
are self-drive travellers. The Kruger Park can be reach by road or air (and cars can be rented at the airports).
Plan your journey by viewing the Kruger Park Map
for the location of restcamps and check the Travelling Time inside Kruger National Park
. By Road
National access roads to all entrance gates are tarred. Distances from Johannesburg to each gate are given below.
Since entrance gates and restcamp gates are closed at night, allow sufficient travelling time to ensure timeous arrival at your restcamp. Please consult the Travelling Time inside Kruger National Park
- from the various entrance gates to the individual restcamps.
Please note the Gates opening and closing times if travelling by road.Gate hours
January - March: 05:30, 18:30 (Camps gates open 04:30)
April - September: 06:00, 18:00 (Camp gates open 06:00
October: 05:30, 18:00 (Camp gates open 05:30)
November - December: 05:30, 18:30 (Camps gates open 04:30)
During Summer the gates of the restcamps open half an hour earlier than the entrance gates.Late Entries
Latecomers at entrance gates will be refused entry.
However, late entry escorts
(at a fee) are available at the following gates for the camp in brackets only. This is only available until 21:00. Escorts depart every half hour until this time:
- Paul Kruger (Skukuza)
- Numbi (Pretoriuskop)
- Malelane (Berg-en-Dal and Malelane)
- Crocodile Bridge gate (Crocodile Bridge Camp)
- Punda Maria gate (Punda Maria Camp)
- Orpen gate (Orpen Camp) No late admission
at Phabeni, Phalaborwa and Pafuri gates.
Gate Security will phone camp duty phone when there are guests and transport is arranged. If guests advise in advance, then trips can be better planned. Fee is currently R150,00 per vehicle. Traveling Distance & Routes From Johannesburg
* Crocodile Bridge Gate: N4 via Witbank & Nelspruit to Komatipoort - 475 km
* Malelane Gate: N4 via Witbank & Nelspruit to Malelane - 428 km
* Numbi Gate: N4 to Nelspruit, R40 to White River, R538/R539 to Numbi - 411 km
* Phabeni Gate: N4 to Nelpruit, R40 to Hazyview, turn right to Kruger & Phabeni gates and after 10km right to gate - 460 km
* Paul Kruger Gate: N4 to Nelpruit, R40 to Hazyview, turn right to gate - 460 km
OR N4 to Belfast, R540 to Lydenburg via Dullstroom, R37 to Sabie, R536 to Hazyview, on to gate - 470 km
* Orpen Gate: N4 to Belfast, R540 to Lydenburg via Dullstroom, R36 and R531 to Orpen via Ohrigstad, JG strijdom Tunnel and Klaserie - 490 km
* Phalaborwa Gate: N1 to Pietersburg, R71 to Phalaborwa via Tzaneen - 490 km
* Punda Maria Gate: N1 to Louis Trichardt, R524 to Punda Maria - 550 km
* Pafuri Gate: N1 to Louis Trichardt, on to Mussina, but turn right at R525 - 600 kmKruger Mpumalanga International Airport
(KMIA) - White River
There are daily flights from Johannesburg International Airport to the Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport between Nelspruit and White River.
The Airport is situated about 30km from Numbi gate, about 40km from Phabeni gate and 72km from Malelane gate and gives access to southern camps such as Berg en Dal, Crocodile Bridge, Pretoriuskop, Skukuza and Lower Sabie restcamps.Kruger Park Gateway Airport
Situated 3 km from the Phalaborwa Gate. Provides easy access to the northern camps such as Letaba, Olifants, Mopani, Shingwedzi and Punda Maria.East Gate Airport
Situated about 74 km from Phalaborwa Gate and 68 km from the Orpen Gate.
Provides easy access to the central camps such as Orpen, Talamati, Satara, Roodewal and Olifants and Letaba.<Car Hire
Cars can be hired at KMIA, Hoedspruit and Phalaborwa airports and at Skukuza Camp itself. See car rentals
.More information on Kruger Park
* Kruger Park Accommodation
* Accommodation Types
* Conservation Fees
* Wildlife of the Kruger Park
* Game drives
* Outdoor Activities
* Overland Safaris
* Walking SafarisKruger Park Access Information:
It is important to read more about the upgrade on the access control system
for the Kruger National Park.