Ebenhaezer is situated about 55km from Vredendal on the banks of the Olifant's River. Baron von Wurmb who was also involved in the establishment of Wupperthal, established a Rhenish Mission Station in 1831.
The community is linked to that of Papendorp, which is situated downstream near the mouth of the river. When the Rhenish Missionaries withdrew from the country, Ebenhaezer became part of the Nederduitse Gereformeerde Sending Kerk ("Dutch Reformed Mission Church").
Recently many farmers hace settled in the area due to the extension of the orrigation canal of the Olifant's River irrigation scheme in 1978. Fields of lucern, beans, paprika and coriander fields are therefore now a part of the landscape.
Ebenhaezer is a peaceful, rural village with cattle and sheep grazing in the green pastures.
Close to Papendorp, approx 78km from the N7