The village of Carnarvon south of the Karee Mountains was established on one of the routes followed by the early explorers and traders between the Cape and Botswana.
Renish missionaries started work among the local Khoikhoi tribes and the first station established was Schietfontein. Another station called Harmsfontein was founded further east. This gradually developed into a village.
The name Carnarvon was given in honour of Lord Carnarvon, British Colonial Secretary at the time.
Carnarvon is set among flat-topped hills and is one of the regions busiest farming centers. The economy of the district is based on merino sheep farming.
The district is well known for its corbelled houses, built between 1811 and 1815 and the Afrikaans poet A.G Visser - who had strong associations with Carnarvon. The house where he lived still stands.
Carnarvon Nature Reserve:
Eleven different species of wild animals can be seen here.
Domed roofed houses built of flat stones for lack of wood for roof trusses. The cement was a mixture of chaff and soil mixed with water and kneaded to the correct texture. Anthills were used for their lime, an excellent binding agent. Floors were smeared earth coloured, a rich red by a mixture of fat and oxblood polished with a smooth stone.
The exhibits cover the cultural history of the region.
Ou Kraal Restaurant:
Converted from an old cinema with antiques, including a 150-year-old piano.
60 Mountain tortoises can be found here. Some respond to their name and will come for a titbit when called.
Find accommodation near the following hospital(s) in Carnarvon: