Few eco-destinations in the Northern Cape are as scenic as Witsand Nature Reserve
. Witsand Nature Reserve is a scenic park, teeming with bird life, including the Namaqua sandgrouse, sociable weaver and Africa`s smallest raptor - the pygmy falcon.
Only we can offer you sensual, flowing white dunes - twenty to sixty metres high - surrounded by copper-red Kalahari sand, Acacia woodland and the Langberg Mountain range.
Witsand has, since it’s earliest times, been the hub of human activity because it was one of the few reliable sources of permanent water in the region. Archaeologists have found several Stone Age sites reflecting the changing lifestyles throughout many thousands of years.
Accommodation at Witsand Nature Reserve:
Accommodation includes ten luxury, self-catering chalets (one with facilities for the disabled), group accommodation and caravan & camping sites. We have a conference facility (catering on request), swimming pools, a kiosk, dune boards, information centre and bird-hide. There is also a Botanical Meander of 3.2km with 43 plant species (sign-posted in 5 languages) and visitors are free to explore any part of the reserve by foot.
• The chalets accommodate a total of 60 guests.
• Ten individual thatched-roof, 3 bed-roomed, self-catering, air-conditioned chalets.
• One of the ten chalets was designed to be wheelchair friendly.
• One chalet is used for honeymooners.
• Each chalet can sleep six people.
• Chalets superbly positioned for privacy and a real Kalahari experience.
Each chalets consists of:
• three separate bedrooms.
• one and a half bathrooms.
• an open plan kitchen/living area.
Each is fully equipped with:
• kitchen utensils.
• bedding and towels.
• an outside fireplace for braai’s.
• Accommodate a total of 20 guests.
• There are 3 rooms sleeping four people and 4 rooms
sleeping two people.
• Communal ablution and field kitchen facilities available.
• Bedding is provided, bring own towels.
Caravan and Camping
• Accommodates 60 people.
• There are ten sites.
• Each site is serviced with water, electrical points, and a generous fireplace with lighting.
• The ablution facilities are of the highest standard.
• Facility for washing dishes and clothing lines.
Day Visitors at Witsand Nature Reserve:
• Accommodates 36 people at the picnic sites.
• Maximum of 6 people per site.
• Larger groups can rent the lapa on a daily basis.
• Day visitors, who have paid for picnic sites, are allowed
to make use of the allocated swimming pool.
Witsand also offers
• A unique and spectacular Kalahari experience.
• Facilities for the disabled.
• Friendly personal service.
A small kiosk selling locally made curios, basic foodstuffs and soft drinks is open daily. However, we do not stock fresh produce and/or alcoholic beverages.
• Various exhibitions, nature books and magazines.
• Displays natural and archeological treasures occurring
in the area.
The Witsand Nature Reserve is also home to the roaring dunes or "Brulsand" of the Kalahari. The dry air, uniform sand grains and lack of iron oxide coating may carry the key to this phenomenon.
Dunes, twenty to sixty metres high, 9 km long and 4 km wide, cover a vast quantity of sub-surface water, which through continual leaching has washed the red iron oxide coating fron the quartzite grains.
This produced the white sand which stands in sharp contrast to the green vegetation, the dramatic smoky blue backdrop provided by the surrounding mountains and the typical red Kalahari sand.
Desert winds chisel out strange and eerie patterns on the dune faces while dune grasses draw circles in the sand to complete God`s awe-inspiring art work.
Birds & Game
Witsand offers an interesting combination of arid region and bushveld birds to keep from the complete novice to the compulsive twitcher happy. We have a well positioned sunken bird-hide from where one can watch birds (particularly Sandgrouse) and game at their level coming to drink at a waterpoint just a few metres away.
More than 170 species of Birds can be found. Gemsbok, red hartebeest, springbok, duiker and steenbok are abundant on the reserve and a small herd of kudu has established itself on the reserve.
For the More Adventurous:
• The entire reserve is open to hikers.
• Witsand is renowned for the fact that there are no
restrictions where visitors can go on foot.
• Dune Boards for rent.
• Bicycles for rent.
• The region is regarded as the finest area in Africa
• Photographic opportunities are endless, with the
dunes, blue skies and all the natural assets of Witsand.
• Bird watching and game viewing.
• There is a swimming pool on the reserve for use by
picnicking visitors, campers and bungalow guests.
• A separate swimming pool for the exclusive use of
• 3km walking trail through Kalahari veld, with
43 marked plant species.
• Picnic site and outdoor museum on the trail.
• Two viewing sites each fitted with an information panel.
Environmental Education Facility
• A special environmental educational rate is offered to
• Enquire at reception for more information.
The stylish conference facility accommodates:
• Conferences, weddings and end of year functions in typical Kalahari surroundings
• Can accommodate 35 people in u-shape style.
• Can accommodate 50 people in classroom style.
• Air-conditioned and equipped with proxima, overhead and slide projector, flip chart and screen.
• Adjoining enclosed Lapa/dining area caters for up to 80 people.
Witsand is a hidden gem for those who like nature. We had a lot of "visitors" - especially in the mornings and evenings - at our "waterhole" and appreciated very much the close contact to all the animals. The Chalets are big and comfortable.
Nice and clean. Staff very helpful. Very relaxing and special.