Treat yourself to a trip to a past world! Welgelegen Manor
offers luxury accommodation near Johannesburg, less than an hour’s drive from the city, in Balfour, Mpumalanga.
Surround yourself in five star luxury, from our elegantly perfected chambers to the three course gourmet dining experience included in your room rate. Coupled with a warm South African welcome, you will enjoy a truly unforgettable stay.
The Manor is located south east of Suikerbosrand Nature Reserve, just off the R23 that leaves the N3 north of Heidelberg and heads into the province of Mpumalanga, Balfour nestles in a region given over mostly to farms, game farms and bush veld.
Welgelegen Manor is steeped in history, and our story dates back to around 1868. Acknowledging the rich history of the Manor, this perfect country retreat combines 19th century old world charm with modern hotel luxury.
We offer an extensive range of onsite activities to do during your stay, such us our billiard room, our golf range as well as our croquet and archery facilities.
The Manor is an exquisite, intimate wedding and conference venue for smaller groups and functions.
Accommodation at Welgelegen Manor:
The Rooms of the Manor stay true to Welgelegen Manor’s classic English residential style. The eight suites fuse contemporary comfort with the timeless glamour and heritage associated with this historical property. Each suite offers exceptional grace and comfort with views over the landscaped terraces, pool or rose gardens. The bathrooms are welcoming and spacious, offering an unique combination of style and function.
The four suites in the manor house are exceptionally large and overlook the pool and side rose garden whilst the four suites in the carriage houses offer two twin suites on the upper level and two garden suites with entrances to the inner rose courtyard.
The Manor House Suites
Each Manor House Suite offers exceptional grace and comfort with views over the landscaped terraces, pool or rose gardens. The bathrooms are welcoming and spacious, offering an unique combination of style and function.
The Carriage House Twin Suites
The Twin suites on the upper level of the Manor House, and offer beautiful views of the grounds. These rooms accommodate either single beds or a king size bed, and all rooms have en-suite bathrooms.
The Garden Suites
The Garden Suite`s have the advantage of an entrance to the inner herb courtyard. These rooms have a king size bed and en-suite bathroom.
Welgelegen Manor Activities:
- Bar and Pool Deck – Relax and enjoy a cocktails or sun downers with view of forever.
- Billiard Room – A perfect way to end off the evening or while away a lazy afternoon.
- Golf Driving Range – Practice your golf swing on our new driving range.
- Croquet – Challenge your friends or family to a game of croquet on our immaculate lawn.
- Lawn Tennis –Reminiscence of Wimbledon – With a serving of strawberries and Champagne it is certainly game, set and match
- Archery – Discover your inner champion
- Bird Watching – Great many endemic species occur on the property with further birds visiting in both summer and winter
- Country walks – a myriad of short and longer walks for both the experienced and recreational walker
- Television Theatre – A unique installation of large-screen viewing and theatre-style seating.
- Library – A quiet hide-away for afternoon tea
- Chess Room – perfect for rainy days or after dinner challenge
- Grass landing Strip – For aviation enthusiasts the well maintained grass landing strip offers a quick stop over for breakfast, brunch, lunch or a fly–in stay, call us for the co-ordinates and forecast should you plan a fly –in.
Welgelegen Manor Map: