is an hours drive from Vredendal. We are in a beautiful little fishing town called Doringbaai. It is situated right on the beach with spectacular sea views. We are just up from Lamberts Bay.
At Thornbay we offer ten fully equipped, self catering apartments with fantastic views of the sea, often accompanied with breath-taking Sunsets over the Atlantic Ocean.
Each Apartment has a patio braai area and its own entrance. Parking is available on the premises. Other facilities available include a recreation room with pool table, football and dartboard, a trampoline and a swimming pool.
A fully stocked fishery is available for all your seafood needs, firewood and ice. Fishing tackle and a limited stock of diving equipment are also available. When catering for your family becomes a chore, a restaurant and pub are only a minute`s walk away from Thornbay Accommodation.
Accommodation at Thornbay Accommodation:
On offer are ten fully equipped self-catering apartments. All apartments are Seafront, so the ocean is right by your doorstep.
Each unit has its own patio with braai overlooking the magnificent Atlantic Ocean. The apartments include appliances such as a microwave, stove, refrigerator/ freezer combination, all kitchen utensils and mounted wall heaters for colder days. The televisions installed have a small hospitality package that includes, SABC 1, 2, 3, eTV, MNet, SuperSport1, Movie Magic and a kiddies program.
We do not offer any beach towels, so we ask that you bring your own. WiFi Vouchers are available. Small pets are welcome by prior arrangement. Rooms that specify Children are those under the age of 12.
Thornbay Accommodation Activities:
- On good days you can go surfing, kayaking and even windsurf.
- Fishing can be done from the shore or if you brought your boat along, there is a slipway to launch it from.
- Crayfish diving, watching the diamond vessels mine and catching a glimpse of the whales in the right weather and season.
- If you're feeling adventurous, there is the Crayfish Trail to hike through between Doringbaai and Strandfontein and cycling routes along the coast for you to follow.
- Not far from Doringbaai is the Olifants River mouth, which is approximately 15 km drive, there you can go birding and kayaking to explore the area.
Thornbay Accommodation Map:
Health & Climate:
We have the Namaqualand Daisies that are a great attraction to this part of the country during our spring season. People come from all over the world to see this unforgettable experiance.
From an insignificant little coastal resort to a veritable tourist mecca, Strandfontein has evolved into a bustling attraction for locals and overseas visitors. An ideal stopover for those travelling from Namibia along the N7.
UNITS EQUIPPED WITH: DSTV, wireless internet, Bedding, Towels, Hairdrier and more.