Welcome at The Old Trading Post near Wilderness in the heart of The Garden Route where we offer quality bed and breakfast or self-catering accommodation at affordable prices.
Experience the old world charm of The Old Trading Post, amidst the peace, tranquility and natural beauty of the Wilderness Lakes District. The Old Trading Post is the ideal base to explore Wilderness and The Garden Route.
There is abundant birdlife in the garden and wetlands with continuous flocks of cormorants, ducks and egrets flying overhead. Over 200 bird species can be seen in the area. The forested hills, fynbos, reeds, lakes and rivers all blend into a beautiful natural environment in the heart of the Garden Route.
The Old Trading Post dates back about 100 years, to when there were no roads in the area and access to the lakes district was limited. It was here that Frans Roelofse built his house and opened a general dealer store to serve the local community of poor woodcutters, farmers and fishermen.
Today the shop serves as a cosy lounge for guests, whilst the house and outbuildings provide the accommodation.
Pets and children of all ages are welcome.
Accommodation consists of:
* Strelitzia Cottage – one bedroom cottage with double bed and bunk beds in the living area, fully equipped kitchen. (sleeps 4)
* The Garden Room – bedroom with double bed, shower and kitchenette. (sleeps 2)
* Lara’s Room – bedroom with double bed and bath. (sleeps 2)
* The Tin Room – bedroom with 2 single beds and shower (sleeps 2.)
All the accommodation has en-suite bathrooms, kettles, complimentary tea and coffee, bar fridges, television, hair driers, heaters and fans or air-conditioning.
Rooms have comfortable beds with fine percale linen and duvets, electric under-blankets (in winter,) towels, and personal amenities.
We also supply many extras such as emergency lighting, mosquito repellent, playing cards, magazines, books and tourist brochures for activities in Wilderness and the Garden Route.
The Old Trading Post Activities:
Enjoy Wilderness and the surroundings by:
* walking the trails of Wilderness National Park
* birding and visiting one of the bird hides
* cycling the back roads
* spending time on the endless sandy beaches
* visiting the craft markets
* hiring a canoe and paddling the Touw River and Serpentine
* dining in one of the many restaurants
* going paragliding
* whale and dolphin watching
Explore the Garden Route by visiting the towns of:
* George for shopping, museums, cinemas
* Knysna for oysters, waterfront, forests and boat trips
* Sedgefield for the Saturday Wild Oats and Scarab markets, Timberlake Organic Farmstall and Swartvlei
* Oudtshoorn for the Cango Caves, ostriches, crocodiles and other wildlife,
Or by taking day trips:
* Over the Swartberg Pass to Prince Albert and back via Meiringspoort
* To the Tsitsikamma, for Elephant parks, Plettenberg Bay, Monkeyland, Bird Sanctuary, bungi jumping, canopy tours and Storms River
* Mossel Bay and beyond for, seafood, wildlife farms and bungi jumping
* Travelling the back-roads – Seven Passes Road, Montagu Pass and the Klein Karoo
The Old Trading Post Map:
The Old Trading Post Guest Review
Average Guest Rating:
out of 5
based on 1
An excellent find. If we had known more about it we would have planned to stay there longer.
Rating: Reviewed by Lloyd Hughes over a year ago
Other Accommodation near The Old Trading Post:
Accommodation options within 8km from The Old Trading Post include:
Ichibi Lakeside Lodge Wilderness is a unique lodge in the Wilderness area of the lush Garden Route in South Africa. Hidden away from the bustling local village, The Lodge is within minutes from all surrounding activities and attractions.
per person sharing
Welcome to Belle Foret Guest Farm and Function Venue, your home away from home. The property, with its perfectly manicured gardens and breath taking views, is located in Duiwerivier, 8 km from Wilderness, a seaside town on the Garden Route, Western Cape.
per person sharing
Enjoy the relaxed atmosphere in our Mediteranean styled villa. We are on top of the dunes overlooking the Indian Ocean. Stroll down your private path to Wilderness unspoilt stretches of beach.
Would you like to stay in Wilderness, close to the beach in a homely, friendly accommodation? Then Inn2Wilderness Guesthouse is your top choice! Enjoy your stay in this breathtaking part of the Garden Route.
per person sharing
Guest Rating: (1 review)
In a tranquil setting off the N2 in Wilderness, Lodge On The Lake is an impressive modern Mediterranean villa and Wellness Centre with panoramic views of Island Lake and the mountains beyond.