The Golden Gate Hotel
is a unique retreat situated in the heart of the Golden Gate Highlands National Park
in the scenic North- Eastern Free State.
Being in the Golden Gate Highlands National Park
, The Golden Gate Hotel offers the fabulous world of sandstone cliffs, sparkling rivers, age-old culture and heritage and spectacular mountain splendor of the Maluti’s.
Formerly known as Brandwag Hotel, this luxury accommodation has always been synonymous with Golden Gate. A wide spectrum of services and facilities has always been offered, which stretched out onto the 34 adjacent fully-equipped chalets.
Although the hotel has undergone minor renovations over the years, a point was reached where a major upgrade was necessary. Visitors to the newly improved (and newly named) The Golden Gate Hotel can expect their stay to be nothing short of fabulously luxurious.Facilities at The Golden Gate Hotel
* Conference Facilities are available.
* Cosy atmospheric pub with log fire (at the hotel).
* Picnic site for day visitors has ablution and barbecue facilities.
* Glen Reenen general dealer and filling station, Brandwag curio shop, licensed restaurant, coffee shop and ladies' bar. Enquire at reception.
* Swimming in natural pool at Glen Reenen.View Room Types and RatesImportant Notice
1. Accommodation rates do not include Conservation Fees
which are payable at the entrance gates.
2. Please ensure that you are familiar with the Rules & Regulations
of National Parks before making a booking.Tips and Hints
- Pets are not allowed.
- Firearms must be declared and sealed on arrival. Seal will be broken at the reception office upon departure.
- Vehicle repair, medical, post office and police services at Clarens (17 km) or Bethlehem (± 60 km).
- Remember to bring a hat, walking shoes, sun block, camera, binoculars and wildlife reference books.
- Hikers on day and overnight trails must always carry sufficient water.
- Take cool and light clothing for summer and warm clothing for winter.
- Area prone to sudden weather changes.
**Visitors with reserved accommodation who arrive after 17:30 may collect the keys to their accommodation at the Security Office, Glen Reenen Filling Station.**Gate Times
The gates in Golden Gate do not close. The road running through the Park is a public road which does not allow for the installation of any boom gates. Gate control is done at both receptions (Golden Gate Hotel and Glen Reenen Rest Camp) on arrival.Accommodation at The Golden Gate Hotel:
More rooms had to be incorporated, which is why the current hotel boasts 54 splendid rooms (20 more than the old hotel). Guests can stay in any of the rooms and experience the breathtaking scenery of the surrounding mountains and lush landscapes. 43 of the rooms are north-facing, ensuring an all year sun-basking stay.
Three-quarters of the rooms are fitted with showers, and the rest have baths. The new hotel is also fully compliant regarding universal accessibility for mobility challenged patrons.Entertainment-wise
A cocktail and coffee bar lounge have been added to the top floor, ensuring visitors a stunning view of the striking Brandwag cliffs.
The sophisticated restaurant on the middle floor is equally suited for both private dining and lavish functions, with enough space for up to 300 diners.
Finally, a vibrant sports bar completes the lowest floor, with an upbeat décor that is most definitely worth bragging about. Apart form the remaining staircase, a new panoramic lift connects all three floors.Other Accommodation
options in Golden Gate Highlands National Park:
- Highlands Mountain Retreat
- Glen Reenen Restcamp
- Basotho Cultural Village Rest Camp
Alternatively Clarens Accommodation
options range from guest houses to self catering apartments.
- Rhebok Hiking Trail (2 days and 1 night): maximum of 18 persons per group. Advance booking essential. Hikers provide all own necessities. Enquire at the reservations office.
- Short nature trails (varying from 1 hour to 5 hours): no bookings required.
- Game viewing at leisure in own vehicle.
- Holiday programmes are conducted during the April and December holidays. Enquire at reception.
- Environmental education courses (varying from 1 to 5 days).
- Bowls, tennis, table tennis and snooker (at the hotel).
Click here for Rates/Bookings