Located in the heart of the Timbavati Private Nature Reserve, part of the Greater Kruger National Park, in 1976 Tanda Tula Safari Camps
became the first East African styled, luxury tented safari camp in South Africa.
Today, Tanda Tula Safari Camps
consists of two exclusive tented camps: Tanda Tula Safari Camp and Tanda Tula Field Camp. Both camps are owned and managed by Don and Nina Scott, together with their passionate and dedicated team.
- "Hands on" owners who live at the lodge with their family offering a wonderful, homely ambiance whilst running to the highest of standards.
- Tanda Tula Safari Camp, one of the leading tented experiences in South Africa, is the oldest safari camp in the Timbavati, steeped in history with its roots going back many generations linking conservation and the Shangaan culture.
- Tanda Tula Field Camp is the first classic non-permanent safari camp of its kind completely committed to offering a low impact safari in the Timbavati.
- Big 5 game viewing with traversing in more than 26500 hectares of wilderness.
The Timbavati reserve hosts phenomenal concentrations of Africa’s game including the famous ‘Big Five’ in one of the most beautiful parts of the continent. Much of this game make their way through both camps, offering guests an opportunity to get even closer to nature.
The Tanda Tula tented camps are renowned for offering a luxurious and authentic safari experience where guests are welcomed with warmth and genuine pleasure.
SAFARI CAMP DETAILS
Tanda Tula Safari Camp consists of 12 private, luxury tents. The East African styled tents are the epitome of elegance, comfort and style, mirroring the early tented camps of Africa. Each luxurious tent features its own en-suite bathroom, Victorian bathtub, outdoor shower and a spacious deck with a breathtaking view of the riverbed and African bush.
Accommodation at Tanda Tula Safari Camp:
- 12 private tented suites
- All luxury tents have en suite bathrooms and outdoor showers, complimentary mini bars, and private decks overlooking the riverbed and African bush
- Electricity & power are available with 220V.Converters are supplied in each tent
Facilities at Tanda Tula Safari Camp:
- A main lounge overlooking the riverbed swimming pool and watering hole
- We accommodate only 6 guests per game drive vehicle in order to ensure an exclusive safari experience
- Our chefs are able to cater for any special dietary requirement
- A gift shop featuring safari clothing as well as arts and crafts from the region
- Premium wines and champagne menu
- Children of 8 years and older are welcome
- There is limited cell phone coverage, we encourage our guests to keep their phones on silent throughout their stay
- Tanda Tula is flexible to dietary requirements
Unquestionably, Tanda Tula Field Camp is the most authentic "glamorous camping" experience in South Africa. This private use camp is located in the eastern region of the Timbavati Private Nature Reserve, bordering the Kruger National Park in an exclusive concession of 6500 hectares.
Tanda Tula Field Camp is the ultimate exclusive experience in guided walking safaris where guests are led by iconic and highly trained trackers and guides, tracking general game and the big five on foot making this a thrilling and life changing safari experience. The atmosphere of the camp is that of a bygone era.
Featuring four explorer tents, the camp’s philosophy and practices are similar to those of the early explorer camps of Africa. Tanda Tula Field Camp is set up and taken down for each exclusive use safari and the locations will vary throughout the year depending on the seasons and game activities. With a private guide, chef, camp host and dedicated camp staff, activities can be arranged on a whim, and game walks and drives may be as long or as short as you choose. Intimate experiences await.
Accommodation at Tanda Tula Field Camp:
- 4 explorer tents configured to suit each individual group of travelers, with a maximum of 8 guests.
- Each tent has its own outdoor bathroom with hot water bucket shower, eco loo and amenities.
- This is an exclusive-use camp and as such it is pitched and set-up based on the requirements of each booking, ensuring low impact on the environment.
- Open to the environment, Tanda Tula Field Camp allows you the opportunity to get up close to nature.
Facilities at Tanda Tula Field Camp:
- The camp features an elegant mess tent with a full field bar and campaign styled furnishings.
- There is no electricity. The camp features oil and solar lanterns.
- There is limited cell phone coverage, and we encourage our guests to keep their phones on silent throughout their stay.
There is no swimming pool as this is a non-permanent field camp.
Tanda Tula Safari Camps Activities:
Just after sunrise – morning wake up. You will meet in the mess tent for coffee, tea, rusks and hot porridge. You will then depart with your field guide and tracker for a 3 to 4 hour bush walk where you will track game, and learn the art of tracking, birding and tree and plant identification. Tracking and finding rhino or elephant on foot is not an uncommon occurrence! You will then return to camp mid morning where you will be welcomed with a hot water bush shower, followed by a sumptuous brunch.
After brunch, you can relax under the trees, have a siesta in your tent, or take it easy in the mess tent area where a selection of books and games will be available. This is a great time to do a bit of bird watching or tree identification with your field guide. The Field Camps are completely unfenced and animals are able to move freely through the camp during the day and night.
Afternoon tea and coffee and a selection of savory and sweet snacks will be served, before the group departs on a short afternoon bush walk lead by your experienced guide and tracker. Following your afternoon walk, sundowners will be served before going on a short game drive that will end back at camp.
Tanda Tula Safari Camps Map:
Clothing & Accessories:
Summer and winter months vary in temperature, and as such we recommend guests tailor their clothing to suit the seasons:
Summer (from 01 October to 30 April): With temperatures ranging from 25°C to 50°C, pack shorts, T-shirts, swimming costumes, long trousers and a light jersey or fleece.
Winter (From 01 May to 30 September: With temperatures ranging from 15°C to 25°C, pack long trousers and long-sleeved t-shirts/shirts, a fleece, warm jacket, beanie, scarf, warm shoes and warm pajamas.
Guest Rating: (3 reviews)
Talamati Camp is situated in a large open valley, affording superb game viewing opportunities. The luxuriant grassveld in the area attracts large herds of grazers, and the predators never lurk too far behind.
per unit, Max: 3