Spionkop Lodge is fortunate to be situated in the shadows of one of the most famous and bloody wars in South African history. Relive the memories and walk in the footsteps of three great leaders, Winston Churchill, Mahatma Gandhi and Gen. Louis Botha.
Situated on an expansive 700 hectare game farm, SpionKop Lodge is the perfect base for exploring the berg, bush, birds, and battlefields of the region. The lodge offers visitors an awesome sense of space and beauty, supreme comfort and warm hospitality.
The turn of the century farmhouse has been beautifully restored in Natal colonial style. The converted barn now forms the magnificent dining room that boasts spectacular views. Guests can savour fine cuisine and excellent service whilst appreciating the African landscape and battlefield.
The business fraternity has the opportunity to gather at the Lodge's modern, well appointed conference centre. Whilst happy couples can be guaranteed of an unforgettable Wedding Day by tying the knot at a really special venue.Accommodation
Colonial style chalets are located in the park-like grounds, each individually furnished and appointed to offer luxury en-suite accommodation in an out-of-Africa setting. Guests are offered the choice of full board or self-catering facilities.
Cool down in the natural rock pool surrounded by water features, enjoy a quiet drink at the pub or spend time in the historic library with its extraordinary collection of war books. There are a multitude of activities on offer.Activities
Guests at Spionkop Lodge will be free to set their own pace:
* Battlefield Trips
* bird watching (also from canoes on the Tugela river). Bird lovers will marvel at the vast number of birds this area has to offer - 270 species have been sighted.
* game viewing from Safari vehicles or on horseback in the Nature Reserve bordering the farm will give you a chance to see rhino, giraffe, buffalo and a variety of antelope.
* sunset cruises on the tranquil and beautiful SpionKop Dam
* outrides to overnight stops at Vaalkrans Battlesite on the banks of the Tugela River
* relax on one of the most magnificent game farms in the country
There is also the majesty of the nearby Drakensberg mountains. Hiking, Canoeing and fishing are also on offer so your visit can be as action packed or relaxed as you make it.