It is a great privilege to share the Richmond House Cottages
heritage - and to have guests enjoy our three self-catering cottages.
Port Alfred is a town we are proud to call our very own coastal gem - is midway between East London and Port Elizabeth on South Africa`s East Cape coastline. It is also the setting for one of the East Cape`s most fascinating and historic properties.
The Eastern Cape seaboard is also a unique piece of paradise and the pride of our province. Our beaches are pristine, our fauna and flora rich in diversity. We hope to attract guests into the area to enjoy a beautiful river and coastal environment.
We want our guests to experience:
- A retreat where privacy and rest are guaranteed, with all comforts provided, yet where guests can determine their own schedules
- A tranquil, private garden full of birds and Eastern Cape flora - the best views Port Alfred can offer and from certain parts of the property, the best views of sea and river
- An insight into the history of Port Alfred`s most significant historical site and `the man who moved the Kowie River`
- A full range of services on site, as well as local recreational activities - including both the beach and river a short walk away. An ideal getaway for a private executive retreat, think-tank or mini conference
- Classical and jazz soirees are held on site in the Museum, which houses and displays the history of the Richmond House estate - formerly known as The Castle
We look forward to welcoming you to Richmond House Cottages!
Accommodation at Richmond House Cottages:
Both Fig Tree Cottage and Ship Ahoy Cottage have two bedrooms each (king size bed or a double bed). Each open plan lounge-kitchen-dining area has a fireplace. The kitchens were beautifully designed and include automatic dishwashers. Each cottage has one full bathroom (bath and shower) and an outside hot and cold shower - open to trees and stars. Fig Tree and Ship Ahoy are perfect little homes-from-home for a couple or small family.
Sandymount Cottage is a romantic bedsitter with covered veranda, small outdoor dining table and chairs; an ideal getaway for a single guest or couple. It has a fully equipped and cleverly designed modern kitchen. The bathroom (with shower) is generously proportioned.
Richmond House Cottages Activities: Local attractions:
beaches, boating, surfing, canoeing, fishing, river cruises, hiking, historic 1820 settler sites, Bathurst village and game lodges nearby. Famous Woody Cape dunes, Diaz Cross and Addo forest in vicinity. New Port Alfred Hospital and Rosehill shopping Mall.
Just want to relax on site? Richmond House estate offers:
Birdwatching and relaxing at our newly built and spacious boma, garden strolls, a billiard room, the Museum and Music Room, as well as a Cape country antique shop (including renovated architectural fittings)
We also offer:
- a select list of fine dining venues
- breakfasts, and picnic baskets for day outings (with advance notice and at additional cost)
- a mini conference facility
Richmond House Cottages Map:
Guest Rating: (12 reviews)
Portofino Guest House has breath-taking views over the Royal Alfred Marina & the Indian Ocean. Our facilities include an indoor & outdoor pool.
Guest Rating: (8 reviews)
Situated in the heart of the Sunshine Coast - unspoilt beaches, fishing, canoe trips, and a host of leisure activities
per person sharing
Self Catering beachfront apartments at the Kowie River Mouth and West Beach in Port Alfred. Ideal for families, couples, sports teams, and anyone who likes the Indian Ocean which is directly in front of the complex.
Relax in Afro-Mediterranean surroundings with 4 star service and a friendly atmosphere. We are close to all local amenities and only 300 metres from Royal Port Alfred Golf Club.
Guest Rating: (6 reviews)
A Villa de Mer offers luxurious four star accommodation on the beachfront with spectacular views of the ocean.