Some people come here for the peace and quiet, some to reward themselves with fine food after a vigorous day’s walking, but whatever the reason, they end up staying for more than just a day!
Pleasant Places is a haven where the sights and smells of everything good about this area come together. Be yourself here, there are no airs and graces, just good humour, good manners, with food and wine aplenty.
Make no mistake, you’re in the country.
The Lidgetton Valley, part of the Lidgetton Conservancy, has numerous footpaths which lure you further and further as they wend their way through the countryside.
Occasionally the Lions River comes into view down the valley, tempting you away from the forest glades. The best advice is to keep returning to ensure you haven’t missed anything.
At least this way you can work your way through the dishes offered.
The thatched accommodation comprises four double en-suite bedrooms and a Family Unit with two double en-suite bedrooms.
All rooms have tea and coffee-making facilities, heaters and hair driers, are individually decorated and have separate entrances.
TV's on request for SA TV in rooms; DSTV programs can be viewed in our lounge.
Laundry, telephone, fax, email and computer available.
Our venue is ideal for small tour groups visiting the area.
Pleasant Places Guest House Activities:
* Amble around our property - go down to the dam or the river below the house.
* Walk on neighbouring farms - saunters to suit all levels of fitness.
* Fishing - trout and bass fishing on well-stocked, secluded private dams.
* Birding - see a wide variety of birds on our property and surrounding farms. Here we see a regular visitor to our feeder, the Pin-tailed Whydah bird.
* Spend a day at Midmar Dam
* Karkloof Canopy Tour - slide along cables 35 meters above the forest floor
* Horse riding - well-schooled thoroughbreds suitable for beginners to experienced; ride through indigenous forests and along country trails.
* Midlands Meander Arts & Crafts Route - we are in the centre of this well-known attraction
* Umgeni Valley Nature Reserve - 6 walking trails, for a great time outdoors.
* Eat out at a local restaurant
* Abseiling down the Howick Falls close on 100 meters to the bottom
* Waterfalls - visit the well-known Howick Falls or the attractive Karkloof Falls.
* Picnicking - there are many sites in the area
Pleasant Places Guest House Map:
Health & Climate:
In the Midlands and the Drakensberg, the weather can change within a few hours.
While still sunny, the mountains particularly can become very cold at night, with freezing temperatures recorded and even snow in winter on the mountain tops, which affects temperatures lower down.
Clothes to bring
October to April, summer clothes, a warm jacket or jersey for the cooler mornings and evenings.
May to September, winter clothes. Perhaps a warm insulated jacket for the cold morning and nights.
Hat, scarf and gloves are recommended if you are going into or up the berg. Comfortable walking shoes or boots are useful for the hiking trails. Sandals are good for general use in summer.
Pleasant Places Guest House Guest Reviews
Average Guest Rating:
out of 5
based on 3
We were made very welcome. The accommodation was excellent together with the food and my dietary needs were attended to. We had a very enjoyable time.
Rating: Reviewed by Christine Wise on 18 February 2016
A truly pleasant, beautiful and comfortable place. The help given to my disabled mother was much appreciated.
Rating: Reviewed by Jillian Carman over a year ago
Great stay, enjoyed the facilities, food, accomodation and the company.
Rating: Reviewed by Wayne Stanek over a year ago
Other Accommodation near Pleasant Places Guest House:
Accommodation options within 8km from Pleasant Places Guest House include:
Guest Rating: (1 review)
Situated in the country village of Howick which is known for the Water Fall in the centre town. We are on the Midlands Meander. A perfect stop over between Johannesburg and Durban. Short drive to the Mandela Captive Site.
per person sharing
Guest Rating: (4 reviews)
Situated within 70 minutes of Durban and just 20 minutes from Pietermaritzburg, the Howick Falls Hotel offers its guests comfortable and affordable accommodation.
Guest Rating: (77 reviews)
Midmar Dam is situated next to Howick (on the N3) in the middle of the Midlands Meander providing opportunities for a wide variety of sporting activities and game viewing.
Guest Rating: (2 reviews)
Littlefields Country House is a small piece of rural heaven in the Kwazulu Natal Midlands. Set just outside of Hilton, overlooking fields and pastures.
per person sharing
Guest Rating: (12 reviews)
Welcome to our graded B&B in the tranquil town of Howick, the hub of the Midlands Waterfall Country. Situated 1.5 km from the N3, the guest house is in a beautiful country environment. One hour from Durban and 4.5 hours from Johannesburg.